Roles of engineering faculty advisors?

<p>I was just assigned my faculty advisor for engineering (computer science). After reviewing her research interests and background, I am HIGHLY intrigued by what she's doing. The research she's performing seems really exciting, and it is within a field I would love to focus in on in the future. Does Cornell do this great of a job with all faculty advisors, or did I just really luck out?</p>

<p>Also, what exactly do faculty advisors help you with? Are they usually helpful? It would be great if she could help me find academic and research opportunities and really narrow down my interests, but how common is that?</p>

<p>Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>Faculty advisors are intended as a guiding force in course selection, technicality, and other academic stuff. A lot of faculty advisors are also professors in their fields, and can probably help in other regards as well.</p>

<p>Also keep in mind it may be easier and faster to ask engineering advising about course requirement questions sometimes. But once you meet you'll probably get a better idea.</p>

<p>It's a resource that you have to refine for yourself. As a senior, I can say that only a few peers have even had a single conversation with their faculty advisor. I've only met mine once to get some credit petition forms signed lol. If you're really that intrigued, take the initiative to get to know them BUT WARNING: Their time is EXTREMELY valuable and faculty are usually insanely busy so contact them with a purpose. Something like "a friendly chat" is not a good enough purpose.</p>