Rolling admissions question

<p>I know rolling pretty much means that for a state school, getting the app early is better. I know some have priority deadlines, but what happens if I can't hand the apps in by then? How early/late can I really sent them? The schools with rolling I'm applying to are Umich and UIUC, but I haven't even written their essays/short answers yet. I need to write the essays but never found the time, but of course I'll try to get them in ASAP. Assuming my credentials are good enough, do I still have a chance of getting in to these schools even if my app is a bit late? I hope rolling doesn't kill me.</p>

<p>For both UMichigan and UIllinois, getting the application in early -- preferably by mid- to late-October is quite important, even though there may be no stated application deadline (or it may not be till January 1). That's because the school accepts students on a continual basis and the selection criteria get tougher as the class fills. That said, if you're a strong candidate, you may get in, or at the worst be deferred if you get your application in later than is optimal. As I recall, though, UIUC requires only the Common App essay without additional essays. Can you get that one done quickly?</p>

<p>Does UIUC accept common app? I'm working on the regular app, which requires a personal statement as well as a professional statement. I guess mid to late oct. is too late for me now. Will mid nov. hurt my chances? I'm not an extraordinary applicant, but I feel I more than fit in with the requirements.</p>

<p>Just checked for you, and you are right that Illinois does not accept the common app, but the good news is that they require just one essay of 500-800 words. And I don't suggest that you completely discount the importance of the essay, but it may not be as critical at Illinois as at some other schools. Illinois is known as a "by the numbers" school, meaning that if you fall within the right range of grades and scores (your GC may have a printed grid) you're generally in. But that presupposes that you get your application in early in the process. You still have time to get it done before the end of October, and I strongly suggest that you try to do so.</p>

<p>exactly how much tougher does UMich get after October? I still need to write two more essays...</p>

<p>Redhare -- Are you applying to the School of LAS? That's what my comments apply to. Rules may be different (and more demanding) for other divisions, especially Engineering.</p>

<p>Vancat -- Unfortunately, it gets alot tougher. I think it's a combination of two things: First, by that point a critical mass of students has been accepted and second, the school may think late applicants are not genuinely serious and interested. By way of anecdote, last year a student at our high school (highly competitive midwest public) applied to UMichigan after being deferred EA by an Ivy. Although he had SATs above 1500 and was in the top 10% of the class, Michigan deferred him. Although he was ultimately accepted, it wasn't until March. Not pleasant. (He did not wind up attending, by the way.)</p>

<p>For Umich, I'm applying to the LSA school since business is not allowed yet, but for UIUC, I'm applying directly to the business school, which I heard is one of the more competitive divisions. I also thought that UIUC required 2 essays. The reason I couldn't get any essays done is that I had to take an SAT II in oct. and still have to take my SAT I retake in nov. (third time).</p>

<p>It might be easier to determine my chances if I give you my stats: I have a 1310 (620 V, 690 M) and wish to get 1400+ in nov. I'm ranked 19/275 at #6 ranked public school in NJ according to New Jersey Monthly Magazine. I have decent EC's and a good amount of awards. Maybe my essay won't be that great if I have to do it so fast, but how would I generally do if my apps were sent a little later in nov.? Also, do they determine scholarships through rolling also, as in the earlier good applicants get more $$ than later yet even better applicants?</p>

<p>I don't understand why after oct. everything has to change.</p>

<p>Here's a link to admissions criteria at UIUC: <a href="http://www.oar.uiuc.edu/prospective/ugrad/require.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.oar.uiuc.edu/prospective/ugrad/require.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>This will help you evaluate your chances. Ilinois is largely populated by in-state students, and I don't know whether admissions criteria are tighter for out-of-state kids. You should check with your GC or e-mail the University directly.</p>

<p>I looked at the app again, and you're correct that there are two essays. </p>

<p>I don't know the answer to your question on scholarships, but maybe another poster can help. Good luck.</p>