Roomate rushing frat=free single?

<p>If he winds up moving into a frat, does this mean that I get a single, or will I get another roommate?</p>

<p>I didn't think they could move in their first year. </p>

<p>If, for some reason, your roommate did move out they would likely put someone else in. Sometimes they don't, but there is a waiting list for housing that gets pretty long.</p>

<p>You do not move out of the dorms freshman year if you join a house. That's not how leases work.</p>

<p>The lease agreement is different for freshmen (presumably that just means first year undergrads) than for non-freshmen?</p>

<p>If a fraternity owns its house, I suppose it could be feasible on their end to leave some rooms open for incoming freshmen w/o taking a financial loss. If a fraternity is leasing its property and it isn't financially moronic, they will fill their house a year in advance with the freshmen from the prior year (i.e. make them sign 12 month leases), so as to not lose rental income that they must turn around a give to the property's owner. Further, the demand of existing members to live in the house the following year typically is greater than its capacity, causing the house to already be full come the fall. However, all of the above is moot because UM requires you to live in the dorms during your freshman year.</p>

<p>I have no idea about the details of the dorm lease agreement for non-freshmen.</p>

<p>Okay, except for...</p>

<p>" However, all of the above is moot because UM requires you to live in the dorms during your freshman year."</p>

<p>No, they don't.</p>

<p>^Since when</p>

<p>Well, I'm not exactly sure, but verifiably since at least early 2000's, and honestly I imagine for as long as the university has existed.</p>

<p>Here's data which verifies that it is at least HS class of 2009:</p>

<p>"For new freshman, campus housing is guaranteed, but not required; 98% choose to live in a residence hall."</p>

<p><a href="http://www.admissions.umich.edu/about/studentlife.php%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.admissions.umich.edu/about/studentlife.php&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Interesting. I guess that one whizzed right by me. However, I doubt you can sign simply a one semester lease to live in the dorms in anticipation of moving into a fraternity house second semester (which no one does).</p>