I got a root canal several years ago that needed to be retreated last September. The tooth almost immediately became infected after the retreatment and I took a course of two different antibiotics over a period of six weeks and the infection seemed to be resolved. Until last week, when it became infected again.
I’m tired of dealing with it and have an appointment with a dentist on Wednesday to discuss the options. I’ve researched the problem online, and the advice given is that saving the tooth is always the best option. But of course, that advice is coming from endodontist websites. Is saving the tooth really the best option? I’m considering just getting an implant instead. I know that is a longer process, but I have a mitral valve prolapse (puts one at risk for heart infections) and I just want this infected tooth gone for good.
@dentmom4 might be able to help - she is a dentist.
A wise old dentist told my daughter’s more inexperienced young dentist, we try to be heroes and save a tooth at all costs, but sometimes that isn’t the best solution in the long run for the patient.
Not every tooth can be saved, nor should it be. From what you have written, I would recommend you stop treating this tooth and have it extracted. An oral surgeon can discuss implant options with you.
Sounds like you have a cracked root, and the prognosis is usually hopeless. PM me if you have further questions.
Thank you @dentmom4 and @kiddie . That’s kind of what I wanted to hear. I just moved to my new city and the dentist I made the appointment with tried to insist that I go back to the endodontist who did my retreatment to deal with this. I’m not very happy with him so I insisted back that I wanted a second opinion from a regular dentist.
Hopefully he can refer me to a good oral surgeon here in my new small city. My daughter had to have three implants due to an impacted canine in her palate resorbing the roots of three adult teeth. We lived near DC at the time and found a very good oral surgeon and talented prosthodontist (that I won’t need) to do her treatments. So I’m familiar with the process. Not fun, but I think I’ll be happy with the outcome.
I’m not a dentist, but I went thru a 2nd treatment that didn’t work. Endodontist offered a third treatment but I decided to go with the implant. It takes a while, almost a year. They extract the tooth, it has to heal, then assess the bone density. If not enough to hold the implant then you get a graft, that has to heal. Then they put in the screw, wait longer for bone to lock it in. Finally they put in the tooth.
However I’m really glad I did it. I don’t even know it’s there, it is now like any other tooth.
@LeastComplicated - sorry I didn’t respond sooner. DH is a retired dentist, and when I read him your post, his first reaction was that it could be a root fracture, just like @dentmom4 suggested. Given your underlying medical issue, he agreed that continued endodontic treatment may not be best for your health.
I went to the dentist yesterday and she agreed with you. Probably a cracked root. I’m scheduled to see an oral surgeon in a month to get the tooth extracted and talk about options. My dentist felt like an implant may not be needed because the affected tooth is the molar farthest back on my upper left and she said I probably would be able to chew just fine without it.
She did say that women do have brittle teeth due to hormone fluxes in pregnancy and menopause. Never knew that.
Went to the dentist, the pain escalated, referred to the endodontist, cracked tooth. My dentist recommended since it was my farthest molar. It’s been 6 months now and I’m doing fine without an implant.
I wasn’t very happy that the tooth couldn’t be saved but after your story, I’m glad I had a good fast outcome. Infected tooth was no fun at all.
I think you’ve gotten good advice, there is no fix for a cracked root. The frustrating part is all the money & time spent on RCT and then you still have to pay for an implant. But it’s apparently really difficult to tell if the root is cracked even with the advanced scans, I think it depends on the angle.
Agree no need for an implant in that location- I haven’t had my upper right for years. It only becomes an issue if you’re missing a lower tooth, because it causes the upper to move out of place.
My mom used to say there was a saying, “Have a baby, lose a tooth”. Funny, since I needed a root canal during each of my pregnancies!
Exactly @somemom . This is the second tooth I’ve spent thousands on only to end up having it extracted in the end. The other one even had a failed implant! I just cut my losses on that one an never tried a second implant. That was many years ago when the procedure and materials were new and not well tested. I may attempt again if needed.
Update. Got the tooth extracted yesterday and it was a good decision as the infection was still present and had actually done some damage to my jawbone. No implant possible now…
It went well and was an easy and fast procedure. Glad to have gotten this taken care of!