<p>I’m writing this from my laptop at an unexpected stop on our recent trip. We were all geared to pull into home late last night, when our car decided it was tired and needed a rest right on I70…can’t trust those old cars. They may need a nap at the <em>most</em> inopportune times…<em>sigh</em>. Actually, it’s probably the alternator, or so says my un-mechanical dh. We’ll see…</p>
<p>So, there we were, stranded on the side of the road, <em>very</em> nervous at midnight as we had our three youngest kids in the car and were <em>NOT</em> wanting to get rear-ended at 75 mph… Thankfully, AAA was dream (though we ended up not using them because my hubster was able to get the car started twice more, just long enough to deposit us into a parking space at a small town Kansas Comfort Inn before dying for the third and final time). :eek: </p>
<p>Looks like the local dealership will most likely be able to take care of the problem this morning, but that’s where y’all come in! Could use some serious “repair vibes”…we’re road weary!!! And in Kansas, as everyone knows, there’s NO PLACE LIKE HOME! ;)</p>
<p>Nice way to end a Rocky Mountain trip, huh?? Stranded on the flat plains of western Kansas… :o :p</p>
<p>Our “Bessie” did not go on our last adventure up to Annapolis on Tuesday for fear of ending up stranded. She too is rather elderly and a little tempramental. We had issues last trip and they sound familiar. It was the alternator first time, but what it really turned out to be after dismantiling her all over the driveway was the connectors to the alternator. They get yucky and need to be replaced or cleaned and then she starts up just fine.</p>
<p>We ended up renting a car for the 3 days, sub SUV cheap on Alamo, less than $20 a day with an additional 10% off with Sam’s Club membership, also had a $20 coupon in our USAA Visa bill. So it ended up saving money by renting for the trip.</p>
<p>Sending good and INEXPENSIVE repair wishes your way!!!</p>
<p>Berurah, I’m so sorry to hear of your misadventures! I HATE car problems, and I’m sending all the good car-repair karma I can muster in your direction. Good luck!</p>
<p>We’ve had literally fleets of old subs. Our first car we bought together as a married couple was a then-new 1987 suburban (stripped down…NEW it was 15,000 then!). That one lasted MANY years 'til finally the repairs were just too costly.</p>
<p>When oldest S started to drive, we bought “The Beast,” an old 1980 suburban. We wanted tons of metal around him! Several years ago, we bought our “new” one, a 1993 that we got on eBay! It was a great car (at least before it was totalled on a deer <em>lol</em>), and we still have that one. One year ago, we bought the one we’re driving now…a <em>really</em> weird deal. It was a 1988 that we bought from a private owner (second owner). The original ower had put all of 36,000 miles on it in all of those years…then the second owner added 3,000 miles before we bought it at 40,000 miles last summer. It’s been a great car, but I guess anything can happen on a long trip… Btw, the kids made so much fun of the clunky look of our “new” car that we named her Beauty…so we have “Beauty and The Beast”!</p>
<p>We did what you did when we took our son to Durham…we rented a car. Best thing we ever did. I’ve GOT to get with you about how you got those amazing rental rates!!! WOW!</p>
<p>Thanks for the good wishes…and say “hi” to Miss Bessie from Beauty! :)</p>
<p>sj~</p>
<p>I’m with YOU…car problems are <em>the</em> worst!!! Thanks for the good “car”-ma!!! Hopefully we’ll be home by afternoon! :)</p>
<p>Hope you’re home soon, b! It’s these little adventures within adventures that make the best memories sometimes. They get better with the re-telling, though. Not so thrilling when they’re happening.</p>
<p>I, too, want to hear about kat’s car rental! We will be renting one in Calif, and I’d love to know where to find a deal like that!</p>
<p>Where did you pack those darn ruby slippers? Click three times and you’re home safe and sound. Of course, hubby and kids may be still be stranded in at the Comfort Inn with the ailing Suburban. Anyway, sending get better soon wishes to the old gal.</p>
<p>more positive thoughts beaming your way! may you leave the dealer in excellent repair, with money left in your pocket!</p>
<p>can i join the suburban club? i have a 94 which has been pretty good except for the time the alternator died at the YMCA camp in Estes Park, and the spectacularly bad gas mileage. Only drive it these days in cases of dire emergency. (read: none of the other cars will start!!!)</p>
<p>Yes, best wishes on your safe return home from KS, and glad to hear you got off the highway safely. I can remember getting stranded with alternator problems in Flagstaff, AZ in 1985 (and the $#@#^*%!! car wasn’t even 5 years old at the time!)</p>
<p>A mechanic friend just installed a new (manual) transmission and clutch in DH’s 1997 Saturn, which probably not worth the price we paid but much cheaper than a new car. I’ve been driving stick shift all my life, and never had a transmission go before.</p>
<p>I don’t know where you are on 70–but I’ve been stuck it before.
Can get kinda scary at night. Glad that you found a hotel and a mechanic.</p>
<p>I had to get a car repaired in a small Iowa town on my way to Wichita one time. They patched it up and I made it. Have fun and try to enjoy the local scenery.</p>
<p>B - you and your hardworking sidekick (suburban and hubby ;)) have my good vibes if you’ll send me yours when ldgirl and I take off for NC…on our own for the first time… next month. The ONE fear I have is break down on the side of the road.</p>
<p>by the time you read this, you’ll be safe and sound at home in KS, so now I can yell: If you broke down in Colorado and did not call me to the rescue (even at midnight), you are in trouble!!! Not that I could have done much, and probably would have been there long after you were gone and on your way, still…</p>
<p>I hope things worked out. I have also been trapped with a family and 4 dogs and 2 cats on I-70 in a Suburban, but mine was less than one week old! :eek:
So I know that feeling.</p>
<p>^^^ LOL and glad you still have a sense of humor! Sending you vibes for a painlessly inexpensive and professionally done car repair. Very scary to break down that way on a highway late at night. Let us know when you make it back home. Good luck!</p>
<p>Berurah—sending happy thoughts to you. I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago–the battery terminal where the cable was attached corroded off–luckily it had the sense to do it while I was parked in an outlet mall shopping center (I was on my way home from dropping my mother off at the Atlanta airport)–wait–how did I find myself stopped at an Outlet mall!!! Anyway, the boys at the Walmart automotive place were my heroes, after I took advantage of my AAA plus membership and got it towed my 100 free miles closer to home (and to a place that would be open on a Sunday to fix it). At least I was able to buy some clean underwear at the Maidenform Outlet store for my unplanned overnight stay!! Although I hate car repair $$$, just keep telling yourself that it’s cheaper than car payments!!!</p>
<p>Y’all are THE BEST!!!
Thanks for the great vibes!!!
We made it home about about 1:30!!! NO WAY we could have gotten the repair done so quicky and smoothly without all of your good vibes and wishes! :D</p>
<p>It <em>was</em> the alternator…and simba, yes, we replaced the battery too. <em>glug</em> Sometimes $400.00 seems like a small price to pay…With the Fourth of July coming up, we could have been stranded for MUCH longer!! :eek:</p>
<p>Nice to be back posting from home–again, thanks to all my CC friends for their great wishes! Y’all are the best! :)</p>
<p>fondly, ~berurah
p.s. dig, was pretty sure you didn’t want to make the trip into western KS to rescue us…<em>giggle</em> ;)</p>
<p>Interesting experience with D a few years ago. She was scheduled to go on extensive driving trip with her then BF, and S was going to be with them. The car was old, no safety features (airbags, etc.), so after one very vivid, bad dream, we volunteered to pay for rental car with air bags, etc. for the excursion. She was shocked at the offer, and believed BF would be insulted, which he was. We were pretty insistent. She then surveyed for opinions her acquaintances and BF’s parents. Universally, everyone who was a parent said “absolutely, do it”, and everyone who was not said “what an insult!” They did finally accept the offer, and in the middle of the trip they all acknowledged the BF’s old car would not have handled the mountains…and they were glad. We sure slept better.</p>
<p>Glad you are safely home. I hate cars, but then horses die, so…what are you going to do!!!</p>