Safety Schools

<p>I am an international students applying to mostly Ivy League schools, however, I need a safety school. Is Middlebury a good choice? Or is it too selective to be used as a safety school?</p>

<p>Which of these schools would be a good safety school: Dartmouth, Amherst, Middlebury, Williams or Wellesly? </p>

<p>I need a school with need-blind (or at least need-sensitive) financial aid for international students.</p>

<p>None of those schools is a safety school. None.</p>

<p>If you are needing financial aid, you will need to look at financial safeties several tiers below that list in order to find a school that will "buy you" to raise its admissions stats.</p>

<p>Harvard or Yale might be good choices.</p>

<p>Seriously, none of those schools are even remotely close to safeties. Amherst is the most selective liberal arts school in the country, and Dartmouth is actually an Ivy. The admission rates of the schools you listed, in order, are 9.7%, 12.8%, 17.7%, 17.1%, and ~33%. Depending on your application, Wellesley might be a match, but the others are certainly reaches.</p>

<p>A safety is a school to which you are basically GUARANTEED admission - and which you will definitely be able to afford, as getting into a school and not being able to pay for it doesn't do you any good. For a safety, you should probably look at state schools, which are often less selective and usually cheaper than private schools (although I don't know how much money they will give international students).</p>

<p>Try
Colgate, Vassar, Wesleyan, Wellesley, Carleton, Davidson.
A tier below the ones you listed but great nonetheless.</p>

<p>God I hope you get rejected....
Ignorance and cockiness at its finest.</p>

<p>I might add that just because you are applying to Ivy league schools does not mean that for you "Colgate, Vassar, Wesleyan, Wellesley, Carleton, Davidson" are "safety schools". You might want to post some of your stats to see if these are reach or match schools for you. You should search CC for threads that identify financial safety schools giving abundant financial aid to international applicants.</p>

<p>Yes, they are your safety schools since you have
1. SAT: 2430
2. SAT II: 810-830-920-830
3. UWGPA: 4.45</p>

<p>JoJoBear and 20More:</p>

<p>Lets be kind here. The OP is not arrogant so much as misinformed.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Colgate, Vassar, Wesleyan, Wellesley, Carleton, Davidson.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>These aren't safeties either. Matches, perhaps.</p>

<p>There is no such thing as a full-need safety school for international students. If there was, you can bet it would be swamped. Very few schools even meet full need for internationals, and they're all highly competitive.</p>

<p>Woah, I am sorry that I offended some people. This is what I can tell you. I did not mean to be arrogant. I know that there is a very tiny chance of me getting into these schools, but I am aiming for the best because only the best give the financial aid I need. If I don't get in, my real "safety schools" are in my own country to which I have already been quaranteed a place. With this guarantee, I can take a long shot at applying to extremely selective schools in America.</p>

<p>It is very hard to list my statistics because the system in my country works very differently to that in America. We don't work with GPA's and our whole grading system is very different. I am 1st in my class, HEad PRefect (similar to Class President I think) and I do have numerous achievements under my belt. Admittedly, I am ignorant about this, because I do not live in America, I don't know what it is like there, and therefore I can't understand.</p>

<p>In my country, college application involves submitting your final exam marks. That's all. No essays, no teacher recommendations, no external tests etc. So I am doing this from the very deep end, and looking for all the help I can get. But obviously the people here (besides a few) are more interested in criticising me. </p>

<p>To IIIIII I apologise for not making myself clear initially, I have my safety school in my country, so when I say "safety school" here it's more a term of "a little easier than the nearly impossibles" </p>

<p>Thank you Averby, I appreciate that. </p>

<p>Jojo Bear and 20 more. Sorry that I cam across that way. Hope you get/got accepted into your schools of choice.</p>

<p>YaleGradandDad thank you so much. I can see you know what you're talking about. Unfortunately, as Polarscribe said, there are very few schools that will give need-blind or need-sensitive financial aid to international students. I can list them if you want. Only the very selective schools. For this reason I know that there is a 99% probability that I will end up staying in my home country, but for the 1% possibility I am dedicating hours every day (while traveling South America on my gap year) to study for the SATs, I will travel to Rio to write them, I am spending a lot of money (my country's currency is very week) on my applications and I am taking a risk. Call it Naiive, but if I don't get in at least it's cause I wasn't good enough, not because I didn't have the guts to try.</p>

<p>THe list of schools that I have chosen to apply to I was advised to do so by the American Education Advising Counsellor of my country. She has years of experience working with students from my country who are applying to study in America.</p>

<p>The problem came in the terminology you used. A "safety school" is one you are essentially guaranteed to be admitted at. As you acknowledge, there's really no such thing for international students who need aid :(</p>

<p>You're right. Bad wording. Sorry.</p>