The Summer Academy for Math and Science ( SAMS) gives preference to students from “underrepresented communities”. I am an Asian American student, not the first to go to college or anything like that. What do they really mean by “underrepresented communities”?
We strongly encourage students from the following backgrounds to apply:
- Underrepresented in science and engineering, defined as being African American, Hispanic/Latino or Native American
- Low socioeconomic status, which may be indicated by eligibility for public assistance programs or free/reduced lunch
- Raised in home where English was a second language
- First generation college students (neither parent completed a bachelor’s degree)
- Currently attending a high school with historically low rates of admittance to top-tier institutions
Then there’s " All applicants who meet the eligibility requirements will be considered… Carnegie Mellon University does not discriminate…on the basis of…* some of the items they just listed.