SAT II Writing- How much prep is enough?

<p>I plan on taking the five practice tests in Barrons and also skimming through the reading. Will this be enough to get me a 700 plus?</p>

<p>That depends more on you than how many practice tests you take. If you're an A student in English and write a lot, you might not even need 5 tests. If you need more work, then more tests would be good. You'll know when you get there.</p>

<p>FWIW I would use PR's book and tests instead. Much better.</p>

<p>For me, I found the Barron's test to not be like the real test..I agree w/ Dilbert and maybe trying another book, I also recommend 10 real sat ii's which has a real writing test in it</p>

<p>were the Barron's tests easier or harder as compared to the real test???</p>

<p>i didnt even practice or read anything and got 700+...its mostly common sense</p>

<p>i did all FIVE practice tests and got 760... just stick w/ the practice tests in Barrons and go with your gut instinct on the actual test</p>

<p>how many mistakes can u afford to get 700+, i mean it's easy to make careless mistakes!</p>

<p>The number of mistakes you can make depends on how good your essay is. If you write a good essay, there's a very nice curve -- that's what saved me!</p>

<p>All I did was read the SAT II Writing Sparknotes online the night before. I might have done one of their practice tests to just get a feel for the format, too.</p>

<p>I got a 730, but I'm pretty good in English/writing...so I guess it just depends on how well you do in writing normally as to how much prep you need.</p>

<p>The curve definitely is more generous when you write a good essay - I missed a bunch of the multiple choice but I still did OK.</p>

<p>I think for the MC section, practice tests will help, especially if it's last minute studying. Review some grammar rules, and that should be enough. I looked over some of Kaplan's MC questions, but I think Barron's is probably basically the same. </p>

<p>For the writing part, there's not much you can do at the last minute. Usually, it's hard to improve your writing skills in a short period of time. However, I think the practice essay questions do help you get your mind rolling faster, which can be beneficial during the test when you only have 20 mins to think up something to write about and write a coherent essay.</p>

<p>The MC part was pretty hard, so I think you should probably spend more time looking over that part. The essay I wrote was probably the worst essay I'd ever written in my life, but the graders are SO easy, so don't worry about it. And also, you can miss a TON of questions and still get and 800. Like, I missed almost 10. My friend said she missed a lot too, and she still got well over 700, so I think you should be fine.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>is it better to leave it out or attempt the question if you're unsure?</p>

<p>haha my friend got 58 mc and 7 on the esssay =P for a score of 690, hes ****ed!</p>