Sat II

<p>Unfortunately, my world history class did not prepare me adequately for the SAT II: World History test and I earned a mere score of 480. Will this significantly hurt my college applications? Is there any way I can prevent this score from being sent?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>oh that bites unfortunitally there is no way to take it off your record that i know of. my advice take it again, mabe with another test though.</p>

<p>You aren't the only person to find out that the info taught in most high school classes isn't broad enough to cover what will be covered on the SAT II test in that subject. If you plan to take another SAT II test (in a subject other than writing or math), check through a prep book and see what topics you will have to self-learn.</p>

<p>As for your current SAT II score, it is on there to stay. But most colleges that require SAT IIs will take your top test scores. Just take other tests and prepare better this time.</p>

<p>Are you a junior or senior?</p>

<p>the best way to minimize the damage would be to retake it and do really well (study a lot outside of school, get one of the review books), which will probably make the admissions officer conclude that you just had a bad day.
yes, that's a hard mistake to make, non-ap classes rarely prepare adequately for the sat II without study on your own.</p>

<p>too bad there's no more score-choice!</p>

<p>p.s. is your screenname derived from the cake song? i like cake.</p>

<p>I usually do well on tests and get good grades, I'm #2 in my class...I took the SAT II Latin and got a 580 (at the end of Latin II, heh, which covers fully half the material on the SAT II Latin). I'm going to take it again though, once I finishe Latin III and am midway through IV.</p>

<p>Yeah...so supposing I get 750+ the second time around, the first 580 (which, thinking back, I ought to have cancelled) won't hurt me too much, will it? Especially since I took it at the conclusion of my first year studying latin?</p>

<p>If colleges you are applying to require SAT IIs, take the tests you can get good scores on, and they will only count the highest ones. Don't count on your school to prepare you though - get a book, and study for the test! If the colleges you are applying to do not require SAT II, you may want to take ACT, and not submit SAT scores at all.</p>

<p>Zoogies: It probably won't hurt you. But why did you take it in the first place???</p>

<p>Wow. This forum is great. I didn't expect so many replies this fast.</p>

<p>First of all, I am a junior. This year I am taking IB History of the Americas and next year I will be taking IB Twentieth Century History Topics. I thought that taking the world history test right after I took the world history class would be a good idea. As you can see, that backfired.</p>

<p>Honestly, history isn't one of my best subjects and I'd prefer to not take the test again. However, I don't want one mistake to botch my college applications.</p>

<p>If I do study using a book and retake the test, will both scores be shown on my transcript? If so, what will the college admission people make of that?</p>

<p>And in response to ay_caramba, my name is from both the Cake song and Rocky movies.</p>

<p>All the scores you ever got will show on the report, but if the college asks for 3 SAT IIs, they will only count your 3 highest SAT II scores in whichever subjects they happened to be.</p>

<p>Even AP/IB classes may not prepare you for an SAT II test. At my D's school, a lot of AP/IB science classes are taught over 2 or three years. If you take the SAT II after year 1, you've only covered half (or less) of the material. </p>

<p>Really, I wouldn't dare take an SAT II without going through a test prep book first.</p>

<p>Since you are a junior, you have some time to straighten out your II's. If you are going with the new SAT (which includes writing), you will most likely want two strong scores to submit - which two will depend on your major. One of these could be a retake of World if that works out - but you would obviously have to prep for it to be worth it (something you could do over the summer and take the test in October). Another route world be to try out the Liturature test, or one of the sciences. Many schools also require math. </p>

<p>Anyway, you do have time to work this out - best of luck to you.</p>

<p>I was planning on taking the old and new SATs. This is causing a great deal of confusion regarding the SAT IIs.</p>

<p>Simple solution: just don't list it on the app as one of your SAT scores. Sure, they'll see it on the score report, but I don't think the adcoms actually see the score report, just the info you provide. (The score report just proves that you're not lying.)</p>

<p>There wasn't anything else to practice by, so I thought, why not? It was only sophomore year. I was going to take biology, but my school's bio program was crap; I was signed up for it anyways.</p>

<p>Why not? Because now you have that grade on your score report. It is better to practice at home with a book, and take the test when you are ready for it.</p>

<p>There is no book. I probably should have cancelled the scores though. Oh well. I'll take it again though, once I actually finish covering the material.</p>