Hello! My Son received a letter in the mail today from a local university fraternity asking him to apply for their scholarship. The letter started out congratulating him on the acceptance to the university. He was not accepted when he applied but put on the waitlist instead. I asked him today to check the application portal and it is still showing that he is on the waitlist. I asked the fraternity if they got my son’s name and address from the school and they responded that they assumed that their alumni did get the info for the admitted students. Could the university already admitted my son off the waitlist but the portal has not been updated? This is his #1 choice of school so I hope it is true! Any other parents experience this before?
Ask admissions. Make sure you are not being scammed. Don’t provide any info to them until you can be assured it’s legit.
Yeah I’ve asked my son not to apply for the scholarship yet. Based on Google search, this fraternity and scholarship seems legit. I’m just hoping this means that he might be finally coming off the waitlist for his top choice.
He can email them what u said - does this mean he’s in. He’ll get a yes, no or stay tuned.
But yeah it’s out of order on their part if legit.
I just called admissions office and they said that my son is still on the waitlist. I told them about the letter so they gave me info for their senior admissions counselor to ask about it. I find it odd that the fraternity obtained his name and address to send him the letter if he wasn’t admitted. I hope the senior admissions counselor will get back to me with more info.
I’d be curious to hear what the admissions counselor says. It does seem strange that a fraternity would send a scholarship letter to someone still on the waitlist, but hopefully there’s a simple explanation. Good luck!
@BrunchDad did this student actually get off the waitlist? One would think they would know by now.
I was wondering the same thing. At this point, you’d think they’d have some kind of update, especially after admissions confirmed he was still on the waitlist. Hopefully, the counselor can finally clear up what happened with that scholarship letter. In the meantime, a good cup of coffee might help with the waiting.
This academic year has either already started, or will very soon at most colleges. This student very likely knows where he or she is attending college by now. I doubt they are still waiting.
Yeah, that makes sense. At this point they probably do know where they’re headed, so hopefully they’ve gotten some clarity on the scholarship situation too. It would be interesting to hear what actually happened with that letter. In the meantime, maybe a good cup of coffee can make the waiting a little easier.