Schools can read your GRE essays?!

<p>GRE</a> Test Scores & Reporting FAQ | Manhattan Review GRE Prep </p>

<p>
[quote]
Who can see the essays I wrote?</p>

<p>If you choose to send your GRE scores to ETS, your essays will be distributed to any and all programs for which you apply.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Someone pointed out this to me, and quite frankly it's the first time I've read anything like this. I'm fairly sure if that was the case ETS would say something about it on their website. Thoughts?</p>

<p>Ok look I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'd still appreciate if someone would just tell me that and then I can stop worrying.</p>

<p>Its the same policy as the writing portion of the ACT and SAT.</p>

<p>I've never taken either, so I'm not sure what their official policy is (couldn't find anything either). But going by [url="<a href="http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Your-Son-Or-Daughter-Must-Do-Well-On-The-SAT-Essay&id=131680%22%5Dthis%5B/url"&gt;http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Your-Son-Or-Daughter-Must-Do-Well-On-The-SAT-Essay&id=131680"]this[/url&lt;/a&gt;], I'm guessing the answer is yes? I'm only asking is because none of my prep books or websites make any mention of that.</p>

<p>The points listed in your link are all ones the I heard previously during my daughter's undergrad applications.</p>

<p>I can't see anything on the official GRE/ETS website that says as much, but even if they can see your essay I wouldn't worry too much. The analytical writing essays are really not reflective of anything other than how well you can write a formulaic essay in 45 minutes or however long they give you. Since the only time you'll ever have to write something under that kind of time constraint - possibly, depending on your program - is when you take your qualifying exams if you are applying to doctoral programs (some people's qualifying exams, like in my program, are written tests with a time constraint - but usually like 6-8 hours instead of just 3), they become irrelevant.</p>

<p>Graduate programs don't receive applicants' GRE essays, nor would we ask to see them. We want to see actual writing samples, not some essay that was composed to score well on the GRE.</p>