Schools in TX

<p>So I'm a virginian, and I've always thought of attending UVA or Tech but my dad just told me that we have to move to Texas.</p>

<p>So my basic question is what are the good universities in TX? </p>

<p>I HAVE to go to a Tier 1 school (Preferably the ranking shouldn't go below 70)</p>

<p>Another problem: I have to attend on a state public uni budget. I have a bunch of sib's attending school and I just can't afford a private university.</p>

<p>My perdicament sort of sucks at the moment...</p>

<p>UT-Austin is the top dawg in Texas. Texas A&M is also great - but has a different culture from UT. Rice University in Houston is a small private and typically the most selective...but I've heard their financial aid is real good.</p>

<p>Dnt rule yorself out just yet. If you are a very competitive student, you might get lots of merit aid from top privates schools and Rice is also quiet generous with aid considering how good it is. Also apply to top privates schools, since you stated that you have lots of siblings going to college, it might be an advantage because it should lower the expected family contribution you might have. Private schools generally give more aid both merit and need based than public schools. Myself I am a perfect example: all the private schools I got into was gonna cost me significantly less than University of Illinois. My advice: apply to a range of schools, then decide the ones to eliminate after you have seen the aid you will get.</p>

<p>Baylor is private, but gives out a shickaton of merit aid to top students.</p>

<p>UT Dallas and Texas Tech could be viable options depending on your major and post-college ambitions.</p>

<p>And I wouldn't rule out private schools because you THINK they might be too expensive. A lot of people underestimate just how good the FA packages are from top schools. If your EFC is under 20k, it might be more cheaper for you to attend the top private over a public school.</p>

<p>The good news is that UT-Austin and Texas A&M are both awesome, respectable schools across a variety of disciplines. If you were already considering UVA/VTech, the large-school feel shouldn't be a problem. Rice is a very good private school and UT-Dallas might be of interest if you are looking into business or STEM disciplines.</p>

<p>You need to confirm that you will qualify for Texas residency by the time enrollment occurs. I wouldn't foresee a problem if you move relatively soon, but I am not an expert on Texas residency policies. You might want to ask about that on the UT or A&M subforums.</p>

<p>It never hurts to apply to other schools that you may not be able to afford provided that you a) do not do so ED and b) prepare to turn down an acceptance if it is not financially feasible.</p>

<p>What do you want to study?<br>
Do you have any test scores available at this time?
What's your unweighted GPA from Virginia?
What grade are you in?

[quote]
My perdicament sort of sucks at the moment...

[/quote]

No, it sort of doesn't. You're moving to a state with a top-notch public university system and will be able to attend a great school at a very good price.</p>

<p>I want to study neuroscience or biology (Pre-med)</p>

<p>My SAT is 2200 and my SAT II's are 730-USH, 750-Bio, 770-Math II</p>

<p>W GPA is a 3.92, UW is a 3.72 (Significant upward trend, 4.0's Soph and Jun year)</p>

<p>I'm in 11th grade as of now.</p>

<p>Are UT Austin, Texas Tech, and Dallas Tier 1 schools? Comparable to UVA & VTech?</p>

<p>I'd love to go to Baylor, but I don't know if I could get enough aid. I'm not a "Top student" because my Fresh. GPA was a 3.125, other than that I've tried really hard these last two years.</p>

<p>Tech and UT Dallas are not Tier 1, but they have a few departments that are pretty good. </p>

<p>If you're pre-med, I'd look at UTD, which has pretty good science departments. Not UT or A&M level, but probably a step below. With your grades, you'd be looking at some decent money.</p>

<p>Baylor will definitely give you money. I don't know if they still have this, but their website used to have a merit aid calculator where you could fill in your SAT scores, GPA and class rank and it would generate how much merit aid you'd expect to get.</p>

<p>UT Austin certainly is comparable in many ways, but it is situated in a much larger city. Everyone I knew that went there loved both UT and the city of Austin.</p>

<p>You are a competitive student and in running for merit aid in many places. Just like the person above me have stated, if your EFC is lower than 20,000 def apply to top private schools because you will probably get better aid from them. Expand your horizon. Unless you are dead set on staying in Texas, there are lots of private schools out there that will give you great aid.</p>

<p>I repeat all of my advice in post #5. UT-Austin is a top-notch school, IMO better than UVA and VTech. Texas A&M would probably be in between the two Virginia schools - still very good. UT-Dallas is newer and is not ranked Tier-1 but still has a high applicant profile and might be worth a look.</p>

<p>You should consider privates out-of-state, but I do not agree with Zobasity's enthusiasm. Need-based aid will hinge on your financial situation, and while it is possible with siblings in college none of us can tell you the answer there until you determine your EFC: EFC</a> Calculator - financial-aid - College Confidential . Merit aid at privates on the level of your in-state choices is exceptionally competitive.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I want to study neuroscience or biology (Pre-med)</p>

<p>My SAT is 2200 and my SAT II's are 730-USH, 750-Bio, 770-Math II</p>

<p>W GPA is a 3.92, UW is a 3.72 (Significant upward trend, 4.0's Soph and Jun year)</p>

<p>I'm in 11th grade as of now.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Actually, you might come to love the impact of your move. UT Austin has been making major efforts to establish its neuroscience program as one of the very best in the nation. </p>

<p>As an example, I know one particularly bright student who turned down admissions at Stanford and MIT because of the possibilities at UT Austin in neuroscience. Check the UW website and you might be pleasantly surprised.</p>

<p>I'm from texas. If I were you, I'd look at University of Texas (at Austin) and Texas A&M for public schools. Also look into University of Houston.</p>

<p>If you have an outstanding academic record, you could be eligible for the Hunt or Presidential Scholarships at Southern Methodist University, which would probably make that school affordable for your family. Also, look into the University of Dallas, it's private and fairly small (and almost certainly not highly ranked), but has some solid academics to recommend it, especially for humanities majors. And of course there's Rice, but I don't think they offer much in the way of merit scholarships. Baylor University has some interesting things going on in its honors program, and definitely offers scholarships for high academic achievement.</p>

<p>But as far as which schools are considered the best, or have the most prestige within texas, I would say University of Texas and Rice are at the top, and a tier below might be something like Southern Methodist and Texas A&M, maybe some of the other University of Texas schools (that might be regional within Texas/Dallas though).</p>

<p>Hah. We are in Texas and I only wish my d was going into something sciencey, because there are some really good affordable choices here for that with brand name recognition; for her major, not so much.</p>

<p>I agree with silverchirs9's assessment, but look at Texas Tech also. Right now, from what I understand, our three undisputable top tier schools are UT and A&M - the flagship public schools - and Rice. SMU and Baylor are very highly ranked - if you were going into law, for example, Baylor has what many consider the best law school in the country (Princeton Review ranks it number one for practical law) and take a good look at Tech because it is on track to become tier one - it is the only campus on state (and one of few in the world) to have all three areas (undergrad, premed, and prelaw) on one campus. I am not familiar with which schools are best in pre med but I think you can look at each school's rates for matriculation into medical school, is that not right?</p>

<p>UT is more expensive than Tech. Right now, if money is a concern for you, Tech is really kind of a bargain, especially considering the quality. A lot of people don't like living out there in the middle of nowhere, which Lubbock sort of is, but I can think of worse places and to our family anyway, the town itself is secondary to the quality of the program itself and the cost being feasible, which might be the case for you. Lubbock has a really nice climate though.</p>

<p>All three of the big state schools (UT, A&M, Tech) have big, pretty campuses and fairly nice communities, depending on your taste. Very different. UT is in a huge (and I think overcrowded :-( sadly) city known for it's eclectic atmosphere - Austin is indescribable. State capitol, former haven for all hippies and counterculture types but it's been becoming more homogenized and like any other big city though there is a constant fight to retain it's uniqueness. College Station is a big central Texas (humid and green) college town and Lubbock is a Texas Panhandle (arid and windswept) college town.</p>

<p>You will find the atmospheres to be REALLY different at the different schools. If you are really conservative you'd fit into A&M better than UT. A&M is so conservative that it's not even on the list for our free spirited very liberal minded d. Lots of kids love it though.</p>

<p>Rice is known for being rather more eccentric and geeky.</p>

<p>I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned Trinity University in San Antonio. After Rice, it has the highest SAT scores, has about 2500 UG students, is putting $100 million into its new science center, has a very pretty campus, etc.</p>

<p>It is generous with merit aid, and now offers full tuition scholarships, some specifically for those wishing to major in sciences, as well.</p>

<p>OP, I don't know which hs you will be attending in TX, others here from TX will know better, but I wonder how your grades will transfer. Your GPA might go up or down, depending on the school's policies, I would think.</p>

<p>Oh, and since you worry about ranking, TU is ranked #1 in USNRW in Master's West grouping.</p>

<p>
[quote]
if you were going into law, for example, Baylor has what many consider the best law school in the country

[/quote]

Um- Baylor is ranked 64th by US News. Not to say that there aren't many very excellent lawyers who are Baylor grads (including one esteemed poster on CC), but don't mislead people here......</p>

<p>
[quote]
and take a good look at Tech because it is on track to become tier one - it is the only campus on state (and one of few in the world) to have all three areas (undergrad, premed, and prelaw) on one campus.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Snapdragon- What are you drinkin'? I have NO idea what you are saying here. I assume you meant that Tech (a school of which I am particularly fond) has a med school, law school and undergrad school on the same campus. MOST universities have premed, undergrad and "prelaw" (which means nothing since there is no such major). That said, I can think of many universities that have a law school and medical school on campus, including Vanderbilt and University of Pennsylvania.</p>

<p>I think A&M has a hideous campus.</p>

<p>I think Trinity has a religious affiliation, in which case I wouldn't consider it.</p>

<p>I think UT Austin is my best option right now, it seems like a great school.</p>

<p>The cost differences between UT Austin and Texas Tech are so small that it would not be a deciding factor.</p>

<p>The religious affiliation is really in name only. No one is required to take any theology classes. Many schools have a historical religious "connection" that today means nothing, really.</p>

<p>But you would love to go to Baylor?</p>

<p>"The cost differences between UT Austin and Texas Tech are so small that it would not be a deciding factor."</p>

<p>Not so sure on that. I'm guessing for Tech, you'd receive a really good grant/scholarship, whereas at UT, you might get a small grant/scholarship, if any.</p>

<p>When the school is a public in-state, the cost of attending is like 8,000-11,000 per year, which I can afford. </p>

<p>It gets tougher when it's a private that exceeds 15,000 per year, that's when I can't afford it.</p>

<p>Baylor has specific programs that I'm interested in whereas Trinity does not.</p>

<p>Umm, the estimated COA for UT is probably in the high teens to low 20s</p>