schools with setting like northwestern?

<p>hey everyone,
i recently attended the ctd summer program at northwestern and i really liked the campus' setting - right in evanston and less than hour away from downtown chicago.
i just want to expand my uni options. do you guys know of other similar schools that are in a suburban setting and yet close to a big city?
thanks!</p>

<p>There are lots, actually</p>

<p>Boston College
Brandeis
Tufts
Stanford
Princeton
-- these are the first that come to mind</p>

<p>Add to that Vanderbilt, Emory, Rice, WashU, Brown.</p>

<p>Harvard, MIT. </p>

<p>Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CC App</p>

<p>I hardly think of Cambridge as suburban, but I suppose it's all a matter of perspective</p>

<p>After living in NYC Boston seems suburban! And thats why I left NYC. You couldnt pay me enough to live there.</p>

<p>There are hundreds of schools outside of but within an hour of major cities. Boston alone has dozens of suburban schools within an hour: Tufts, BC, Bentley, Babson, Olin, Brandeis, Wellesley, Smith, Stonehill, Bryant, plus many others.</p>

<p>Boston College is probably the closest thing to what you are looking for. Tufts is similar but its location is very far removed from the city. Wellesley is a good choice as well.</p>

<p>Stanford/UC Berk are pretty far from San Fran.</p>

<p>If you want a school similar to NW in terms of both type of school and location, Rice or Wash U would probably be the most similar. Wash U has free access to the metrolink into the city, which is pretty similar to the El.</p>

<p>Tufts is pretty close to the urban action of Cambridge and Boston via the Red Line subway.</p>

<p>^ Yeah, but Tufts is very far removed from city life. Few, if any, nights are spent in the city for Tufts students.</p>

<p>CU Boulder
Arizona State
UCSD
Berkeley
UCLA</p>

<p>I recall Swarthmore was pretty close to the 'close to but not in a city' feel.</p>

<p>awesome. thanks! does anyone know if/how much ctd will help my app?
i have legacy (sibling). if i ED, what do you think my chances are? i got all 5s on my aps in my junior year and my sat is 2100. my extracurriculars are pretty good as well.</p>

<p>
[quote]
^ Yeah, but Tufts is very far removed from city life. Few, if any, nights are spent in the city for Tufts students.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Fascinating, informative ... have you ever actually been to Northwestern (or out of Boston for that matter) to be able to give an informed opinion on whether Tufts' setting is similar to that of Northwestern's?</p>

<p>My H and I, both NU grads, both stopped in the middle of our Tufts tour for our son, turned to one another, and remarked that Tufts basically felt to us like a Boston version of Northwestern. Aside from Tufts not having that lakefront setting thing ...</p>

<p>WashU also feels a lot like Northwestern to us, as well, just a smaller city and again no lakefront setting.</p>

<p>Thissimplelife -- NU is a crapshoot for everybody, with an acceptance rate of 18% this past year. I don't believe they count siblings for legacy, just parents. My S, an incoming freshman, did do CTD for several years but honestly I don't think it counts for all that much. (Cherubs, on the other hand, counts a LOT. NU loves its Cherubs.) Where I would leverage your CTD experience is in a "Why Northwestern" essay, where you should have more to say than a generic "pretty campus, great city" answer. Good luck to you.</p>

<p>I've been to both campuses and Tufts is nothing like Northwestern.</p>

<p>I don't think Tufts is much like NU, either. (And yes, I've been to both campuses and gone to school in both the Chicago and Boston areas.) Tufts is much smaller, much more compact, and much more urban. The area that surrounds it is very drab semi-urban, not upscale suburban like most of Evanston. Harvard and MIT aren't suburban by any stretch of the imagination, although they do have expansive campuses next to a river.</p>

<p>I'd tend to agree that in the Boston area BC is the closest equivalent in terms of type of school plus location. (BTW, Smith is not in the Boston area. It's in a great college town, but travelling in and out of Boston is not practical. Wellesley definitely has the same kind of access to Boston that NU has to Chicago, and a lakefront campus, but of course on a smaller scale, and it is a completely different type of school.) </p>

<p>I'm not familiar with the WashU or Rice campuses, but it sounds as if they would also fit the bill. What about Vandy? (Never been there...)</p>