Scrapbooking

<p>Do you spend much time on this? Have talent?</p>

<p>I'm working with my youngest daughter to put together two scrapbooks for my son (and to have ready for viewing at his graduation party later in the month). We are dedicating one to all his sports portraits from preschool on up - you know, every time he was on a team and they took individual/team shots? Putting them in order of age - it is darn cute to see him grow and since he has played all kinds of sports this book will be FULL!</p>

<p>The second one is all about high school - dances, football games, friends, award banquets, etc. </p>

<p>OMG, it is so time consuming - and evidently I don't have the skill or patience for it! Thank goodness for my younger D - she is doing a GREAT job and I am happy to pass the job onto her.</p>

<p>We're trying to keep things fairly simple and not fall for the frills that can add up in $$$$ - just some basics.</p>

<p>Care to share any simple tried and true tips?</p>

<p>I like photo corners for pictures, and Micheal's has all the paper you will need---not all the paper you might like, but all the paper you will need. I am addicted to my Cricut, but I don't use it much for Scrapbooking, more for paper/vinyl crafts.</p>

<p>If you sign up at their websites the major craft stores will email you coupons nearly every wee--Joanns, Michael's. Hobby Lobby. I like consistant colors, not too busy pages. Do take the time to add a little journaling (date/place/event if nothing else). If you look you can find co-ordinated mat stacks and cardstock. I can't cut straight to save my soul, so they end up saving me a lot of money--I'm not wasting a ton of paper. Editing your pages is good, too.
It's possible to buy a big package of school theme stickers/rub-ons/etc. Use the 40% off coupon and it will save you money in the long run. And the consistant lettering will pull the whole thing together.</p>

<p>I've done scrapbooking on an off over the years. My favorite is a book of Halloween pictures of DS. I agree using Michael's' 40% off coupons is the best. And if you sign up to receive their email newsletters you'll get lots of coupons! </p>

<p>However, I'm now doing all my scrapbooking on my computer. Right now I'm working on a book of school years for DS to give him after his college graduation. I've scanned documents and awards along with pictures. I have a mac so I'm using Apple's Pages program to put things together. They have some great templates. While I'll give DS a hard copy, I know he's more of a digital guy and would probably prefer to have photos on a disk. Another plus to doing it on the computer: while one page might have taken me an hour or so with all the cutting and arranging if I was scrapbooking with paper and scissors, I can do several pages in an hour on my computer and I'm just as happy with the results.</p>

<p>I created photo albums and simple scrapbooks for years when I was using my old 35mm and routinely got prints. With the digital camera, I was printing up my own photos and using double-sided photo tape to put them in albums. A couple of years ago after a cruise, I finally tried out one of the online photobook offers and was delighted with the results. The different companies have a wide variety of styles and the prices weren't bad with all the special offers for BOGO, free shipping, etc. Since all the pictures are digital anyway, it's very simple to just upload into their program and start playing around. There are lots of options for page layouts or if you don't feel creative you can just use their suggested templates. There are backgrounds for all kinds of events and celebrations (I used a travel set for the cruise.) I tucked some of the paper momentos into the back of the photobook (daily newsletter, luggage tags, etc.) (Don't tell anyone but I even scanned in the photos that we bought onboard. :eek: )</p>

<p>I tried out a calendar with some of my old favorite photos, some of which I scanned. It worked out great so I made a Chanukah gift for my mom with all the grandkid pictures, tracking down and scanning the older photos. I used several photos of DS with his cousins. It was partly chronological and partly holiday (Passover photos for March, Thanksgiving for November, Chanukah for December). I entered in all the birthdays and anniversaries. In addition to the calendar, I gave her a CD with all the photos I reviewed, including all that didn't make it into the calendar.</p>

<p>Another nice thing about the photobooks is that you can get multiple copies so grandparents can have their own keepsakes. I'll probably make a smaller photobook with all the college commencement photos and stuff (scan the programs, diploma, etc.) and possibly some shots from the earlier college years. It will make a nice set of memories.</p>

<p>I have done the photo books online at both Snapfish and Shutterfly with good success. They sometimes send great coupons if you have an account.</p>

<p>This time though, with these scrapbooks and the amount of pictures and themes, etc. I needed to go the old fashioned route. :)</p>

<p>Another good place for cheap scrapbook supplies can be Big Lots. Don't love going in there otherwise, but have picked up stickers, trims, paper, etc. for dirt cheap.</p>

<p>I am a scrapbook addict! You name a product and I have it! I go away on scrapbooking workshops and ladies' weekends. It is my passion! I love my Cricut and just bought a new cartridge yesterday on Overstock dot com. My friends and I travel around all of the scrappin' stores for new products and I go to monthly workshops. I do paper and digital scrapping. My Ds love to go through their albums and their friends always check out the new albums when they visit. At D2's grad party last year there were over 50 kids at one time pouring through her series of albums in our sun room and laughing at all of the photos through the years. My newest project is working on cards for D1's future bridesmaids. We are thinking of making all of her wedding invitations. I mainly use Creative Memories software to make my digital albums, Ds senior poster and wall art. I find inexpensive paper at the Anchor Paper outlet around here. Since I bought the cricut I haven't bought stickers, sticker letters or die cuts.</p>

<p>I've heard of that criscut machine. I don't entirely understand how it works, but know that people love it!</p>

<p>If you're in the Chicagoland area, the annual Wilton tent sale is running through June 22 in Woodridge. It used to be all baking and cooking, but I went last year and there was tons of scrapbooking material - long long aisles filled with paper and stickers and punches and I can't even remember what else. (Also tons of baking and decorating supplies.) Prices are extremely reasonable.</p>

<p>Wilton</a> Tent Sale - 2010</p>

<p>Another Cricut addict here! Due to family circumstances, haven't done much scrapbooking lately, but still use my Cricut all the time. My daughter uses it quite a bit for school also. It is my fav toy!</p>

<p>Can you explain in a nutshell what Criscut does????</p>

<p>The Cricut is an electronic die cutter. You can cut out all sorts of shapes and letters. There are lots of themed cartridged available, with all sorts of shapes and fonts. You can cut a variety of materials, including paper, cardstock, fabric and vinyl. Lots of info out there, try cricut dot com.</p>

<p>I Love My Cricut--die cuts any size I want, my choice of colors, etc. I love the fonts, and have done several things in vinyl. I also use it to cut the stencils for glass etching...
DD uses it for school projects, and of course Girl Scouts.
Try the message board at cricut dot com to get an idea (it's loading really slowly for me right now).</p>

<p>Are there different models of the Criscut? Price ranges?</p>

<p>My youngest really likes scrapping - this could be a fun Christmas idea.</p>

<p>There are several models of Cricut--the original cuts up to 6 X 12 inches, the Expression cuts items up to 12 X 24 inches and the Create--size of the original with some of the features of the Expression. The Expression is a MUCH larger machine than the original Cricut (sometimes called the Baby Bug). You can look at them at Micheals--but the Micheal's coupons exclude the Cricut items. Walmart carries them, usually has a Black Friday deal. I bought my Expression on eBay for the Walmart Black Friday price, I just didn't want to deal with the crowd. Keep in mind that you need to buy cartridges in order to cut shapes, so you need to figure that into the cost. I use the Design Studio software and a third party software, so I can cut shapes and fonts found on the internet. My daughter loves my Cricut, you should be able to find the original for $100 to $150 and the Expression around $250 (they both come with a cartridge, the E comes with 2). Visit Cricut dot com then message boards, then cartridge exploration for ideas of what people do with the Cricut. If you need more information, pm me. I'm not a super expert, but I have a lot of fun.</p>

<p>I also use a third party software to cut any font installed on my computer so I don't have to buy cartridges although I love some of my cartridge shapes. There are always good deals on cricuts starting around Thanksgiving. Check out Youtube for tutorials and videos on special projects. Amazing what some people do! I am doing some wedding stuff for D1. Very fun!</p>