SEAS Taking CAS Classes

<p>Let's say I went to SEAS freshman year and decided (before course selection) that I wanted to transfer to CAS. I know you have to wait a year and get a 3.0 GPA. However, are you allowed to take purely CAS classes (not a single SEAS class) during that first year before you can transfer so that you don't have to catch up later?</p>

<p>Most of the kids I know in SEAS seem to be taking mostly intro science courses and calc the first semester. I think you have to take the engineering section of chemistry though.</p>

<p>What do u mean "engineering section of chemistry"?</p>

<p>chem 101 and 102 are divided into college and seas sections, which differ in their focus on theoretical vs. problem-solving - as a result, they are taught and tested separately</p>

<p>however chem 101 (regardless of section) is chem 101 as far as credits and transcripts go</p>

<p>So chem 102 is the "engineering" chemistry?</p>

<p>And I HAVE to take it if I go to SEAS?</p>

<p>no, there is a chem 101 and 102 in both schools</p>

<p>and you could take it in either school probably</p>

<p>so bascially, I can take all CAS classes even if Im in SEAS</p>

<p>after first semester yes</p>

<p>in your first semester i don't believe you can get permission to take 100% cas courses</p>

<p>So what SEAS classes would I have to take? At least one? Is there a specific one?</p>

<p>And also, I thought you could only transfer to CAS after one year (2 semesters)?</p>

<p>You would probably have to take engineering chemistry unless your major doesn't require it. After that, whatever major specific classes you are taking ie intro to bioengineering and such.</p>

<p>But I thought you had a choice to take either Chemistry?</p>

<p>And what if I were undecided? Then I wouldnt have to take a major specific class right?</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure that engineering majors that require gen chem require the engineering course so in a sense, nope, you really don't have a choice.</p>

<p>But aren't some people undecided for Engineering?</p>

<p>Oh I see here
Penn</a> Engineering - Curriculum Deferred</p>

<p>That I HAVE to take at least one 100-Level Engineering course. </p>

<p>Also, it says that for chemistry, I have to "Take only section 5 or 6 for engineering students". What does this mean? I'm confused cause tenebrousfire above said that Chem 101 is the same for everyone.</p>

<p>nono you misunderstood (or i was unclear)</p>

<p>chem 101/102 sections 1-4 are cas
chem 101/102 sections 5-6 are seas</p>

<p>the point was that you don't have to take it twice, the seas section will count if you switch to cas, and vice versa</p>

<p>Is it possible to simply not take the Engineering Version of Chem (section 5 and 6)?</p>

<p>Because some majors (like EE), allow you to not take Chem the first year.</p>

<p>Penn</a> Engineering - Electrical Engineering Major</p>

<p>Also, how hard (relatively speaking) is bioengineering or Engineering 101?</p>