Seeing your own name in the credits: supporting young artists

<p>When my son's team started their capstone film project, they needed to raise about $15,000 - $20,000, which they did, through a combination of parents' contributions, school grants, and other fund-raising. It was a lot of money to raise, but I think the result was well worth it. Besides, it just felt good to support those guys and to think that we had a tiny part in the making of that film. (And I liked seeing our names in the credits - LOL.)</p>

<p>As a matter of fact, it felt so good that we helped out (small donations) for two other student filmmakers for kids we didn't even know (but their projects sounded worthwhile).</p>

<p>But I've found a great way of finding these kinds of projects (even more than just film projects) by contributing anywhere from just $1.00 and up. And what do you get, besides just feeling good about supporting creative endeavors)? For films, it might be - depending on the level of support - a copy of the film when it's completed, thanks in the credits, and more. The site is kickstarter.com and you can browse projects. I hope that this is not seen as a commercial post because no one is making a profit on this; but it is a handy way to back young artists.</p>

<p>We just signed up on a film called "Life in Pink" (use the search box). It's an ambitious project involving an incredibly talented young filmmaker working with other students and industry professionals with a well-known cast. I can't wait to see the result. I haven't met this young filmmaker, but I think you may know him... :) </p>

<p>Any other experiences supporting young aspiring artists? I'd love to hear about them.</p>

<p>10 characters.......</p>

<p>Hi Dig, and others:</p>

<p>The film referred to above is my son's project! For those of you who have read my posts in the past, you probably know he has been making films since middle school (He is a high school senior now). This is the first time he has tried to fundraise on this scale, and Kickstarter is a really interesting way to do it. Dig makes a case for supporting kids by donating. I'd like to add some info for the kids (and parents) who might want to try this to support their own projects.</p>

<p>For those considering it: here are the pros: you can get your information out to a lot of people by sending emails, or posting a link on facebook, etc... Others can link to your information and pass it on, so you might reach people you don't even know yet. Second, you get exposure in a very professional way, and to a community that supports the arts. Third: it is a great experience to pitch your film in this way. </p>

<p>The downside is they take a percentage for hosting your project, and then Amazon who the payments go through take another percentage. In the end, you loose up to 10% to these fees. So if you can get enough funding without using it or another fundraising site, you keep all your funds. Second, it is all or none: if the entire amount is not raised in the time you specify, YOU GET NOTHING, and your pledgers are not charged for their pledge. Third, : you need to be over 18 to have a payment account. So if you are not 18, you need an adult as the project owner (producer, etc...). </p>

<p>If you try kickstarter fundraising: be sure you figure out a full budget in advance (a good idea even if NOT using a site to raise money) and add an extra 10% for fees. This by the way, is one of the harder tasks of planning a film shoot, especially on a location. There are equipment costs, insurance costs, food costs, make-up costs, costume and prop costs, etc... It is a great exercise in planning and budgeting (skills we all could use!)</p>

<p>I catered my son's independent short film and racked up my own IMDB credit! </p>

<p>Cooking, then serving full meals outdoors in 4 days of L.A. August heat, my most important achievement was NOT food poisoning a 20-person cast and crew. LOL.</p>

<p>Fundraising is more meaningful help.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That is hilarious!</p>