Selective and Non-Ivy

<p>I'm interested in a few selective and semi-selective colleges, namely Vanderbilt, Emory, and American Universities. Could I get any feedback on these schools concerning financial aid, location, pros/cons, and my chances? Thank you in advance.</p>

<p>Credentials:
-4.0 UW, 4.34 W GPA
-30 Composite ACT
-TN Boys State Delegate 2010
-National Honor Society
-Maryville Scholars (Top 5% of high school grad. class)
-AP U.S. History Award (Top 5-6 a.p.u.s.h. students for 09-10 out of about 55 students)
-English Academic Letter (Highest level junior English class, 8 letters awarded to top students out of about 55)
-4 years marching band, trumpet section leader 11-12th grade
-United Community Bank Junior Board of Directors (County organization composed of 12 delegates from 4 high schools and dedicated to community service and finance learning)
-Total of 5 AP's upon graduation</p>

<p>Again, any comments related to chances, school comparisons, etc. are appreciated!</p>

<p>Vanderbilt </p>

<p>Financial Aid: Very good. Possibly even the best of the schools you listed.</p>

<p>Location: As a TN resident, you're probably used to the less-than-ideal weather. Campus is nice. Downtown is very meh, especially when you're used to larger, livelier cities like Dallas and Austin. IMO, there's not enough to do w/in walking distance of campus.</p>

<p>Pros/Cons: I'm bias so I'll refrain from answering this.</p>

<p>Chances: Your ACT scores are a little low, so it's going to be an uphill battle.</p>

<p>Middle 50% SAT (CR+M): 1440 – 1540
Middle 50% ACT: 31 – 34
% in Top Ten % of Graduating Class<em>: 92%
Average Rank in Class (% from top)</em>: 3.8%
Overall Admit Rate (as of mailing day): 16.3%</p>

<p><a href="http://admissions.vanderbilt.edu/vandybloggers/2010/03/vanderbilt-class-of-2014-notifications-in-the-mail/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://admissions.vanderbilt.edu/vandybloggers/2010/03/vanderbilt-class-of-2014-notifications-in-the-mail/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>American should be a very easy school for you to get into. All good schools, and you are highly qualified for any of them. For really great scholarships, you might also want to consider the University of Richmond and Washington and Lee, which give out many full scholarships as well.</p>

<p>Denison and Wooster (both in Ohio) are very good schools and are also good with merit money. Best of luck!</p>

<p>I disagree with much of what crs said about Vanderbilt.</p>

<p>I think the weather in Nashville is really good. Yes, last winter was unusually cold and this June has been unusually hot, but there are 4 nice seasons and gorgeous trees/flowers. Winters are not long.</p>

<p>Downtown Nashville is a lot of fun with tons of music venues. The college kids I know love it. I like it better than Austin and it is certainly as lively. Also, there are LOTS of places right near Vanderbilt and no one is ever bored. AND-you have SEC sports.</p>

<p>MomofWildChild: Why are you disagreeing with a current student?</p>

<p>
[Quote]
I think the weather in Nashville is really good. Yes, last winter was unusually cold and this June has been unusually hot, but there are 4 nice seasons and gorgeous trees/flowers. Winters are not long.

[/Quote]
</p>

<p>First, who cares what the weather is like in June? School ends late-April/early-May.
Second, last (school) year, it seemed like half of the time it was overcast and/or raining.</p>

<p>
[Quote]
Downtown Nashville is a lot of fun with tons of music venues.

[/Quote]
</p>

<p>You’re going to use music venues as your main selling point of downtown Nashville? And then you’re going to say that Nashville is “certainly as lively” as Austin, the live music capital of the world? </p>

<p>
[Quote]
The college kids I know love it.

[/Quote]
</p>

<p>That’s pretty vague. Are we talking about 2 or 7 or 27 kids? And what’s their background? Kids from a middle-of-nowhere town who have a very limited frame of reference?</p>

<p>I’ll concede that there are plenty of kids that love downtown, but these kids tend to be greek and they also tend to be female. At least based on my observations.</p>

<p>
[Quote]
Also, there are LOTS of places right near Vanderbilt

[/Quote]
</p>

<p>Yeah, there are lots of places…to eat. I’m talking about places where you can do things, besides eating. Just off the top of my head, I can only think of Centennial park, Caf</p>

<p>Well, crs. I certainly hope you are planning to transfer, because your opinion is certainly not the majority one among Vanderbilt students.
I have lived in the Nashville area for 4 years and my daughter is a grad student at Vandy (starting 3rd year). Her husband is a medical resident there. My son took summer courses at Vanderbilt and went to school in what you would call a major city. He loves Nashville and found plenty of entertainment. He is not "Greek".<br>
Is football the only sport? We have season basketball tickets and the games are excellent. Baseball is great, too.<br>
Yes, this past winter was tougher than usual. Fall was gorgeous and spring was nice except for the city flooding in early May. A lot of students care about summer weather because a lot stay for internships, summer courses etc.
To where did you say you are transferring? (MTA- I see, you are feeling sorry for yourself because you didn't go with the burnt orange and the better football team)</p>

<p>I hope you aren't seriously saying Austin has a stronger music scene than Nashville. Don't get me wrong- I like Austin and having lived in Texas for 28 years, know it well. BUT-it is no Nashville. And talk about bad weather. Unless you want warm and humid with little change in seasons.....</p>

<p>MomofWildChild: Are you honestly saying that you have more knowledge of the average Vandy UNDERGRAD than me? You know grad and professional students, who I'm going to assume have cars (greater mobility) and have different ideas as to what is and isn't fun/entertaining.</p>

<p>
[Quote]
I hope you aren't seriously saying Austin has a stronger music scene than Nashville

[/Quote]
</p>

<p>Can you back up you assertion that Austin doesn't have the stronger music scene. I'm not claiming to be intimately familiar with either music scene, mostly because that's not my bag, but I have hard time believing that Nashville can match Austin's music scene.</p>

<p>Nashville is known as "Music City". Have you been along Music Row? The recording studios? The fact that many, many stars live here? CMA Awards, CMAFest, concerts by most major performers (not just country artists)......</p>

<p>Yes, I do believe I have more knowledge of the average Vandy undergrad that you do because I have lived and worked here for 4 years, have neighbors who attend Vandy, co-workers with kids at Vandy, a daughter who has an on-campus job and interacts with undergrads all the time, not to mention the Vandy grads at every turn in the road here. And, with VERY few exceptions, they love Nashville and Vanderbilt. You are truly the exception and I am sorry your experience hasn't been better, but I don't want anyone on this forum to think you are the norm, because you aren't. I don't mean to diminish your experience, but it is NOT the way most Vandy undergrads feel.</p>

<p>Doesn't the C in CMA stand for country? It might surprise you, but a lot of people don't like country. And yes, Nashville has more than just country, but I still prefer Austin to Nashville.</p>

<p>
[Quote]
And, with VERY few exceptions, they love Nashville and Vanderbilt.

[/Quote]
</p>

<p>Why are you distorting my comments? Making a comment regarding downtown Nashville is different than making a comment regarding Nashville and Vanderbilt. I'm not making comments regarding Nashville as a whole or Vanderbilt, just downtown.</p>

<p>Like I said, downtown Nashville is imo (very) meh, neither good nor bad.</p>

<p>For you to make it sound like everyone (or at least most students) LOVES downtown is ridiculous and clearly hyperbole. Like and love are different. I'm not gonna tell my girlfriend I love her. Why? Because there are clearly different meanings attached to each word. </p>

<p>As for the people you've interacted with and your grasp of Vandy undergrads...a little term I learned in one of my econ classes: selection bias.</p>

<p>Face it, I live on campus and interact with a much wider variety of kids than you. For you to think that you know the Vandy undergrad population better than me is ridiculous.</p>

<p>I like Vandy and I'm sure that Nashville will be more fun next year when I bring my car. I still wish there was more to do w/in walking distance.</p>

<p>Have you lived in Austin? What is your frame of reference? </p>

<p>You don't like your school. In other posts you said you are only there because the price was right. I hope things go better for you next year.</p>

<p>I haven't lived in Austin, as in permanent residence, but I have lived off-campus (UT) w/ my friends for roughly three weeks, two of which occurred during the school year.</p>

<p>
[Quote]
You don't like your school. In other posts you said you are only there because the price was right.

[/Quote]
</p>

<p>I challenge you to find a quote where I've specifically stated that I didn't like Vandy. Ain't gonna happen. I CHOSE (<if I knew how to bold, I would) Vandy over UT for financial reasons. Choosing a school for financial reasons =/= disliking the school.</p>