Self-study AP Macro/Microeconomics

<p>Hi guys,</p>

<p>My HS (current and past) doesnt have AP courses. Im really into economics and thinking about majoring in it in college. Can I take the AP exam while studying at home? Which one is relatively "easier"? what's the difference between them? </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I believe this belongs in the AP test section, but nonetheless:</p>

<p>If your school is willing to order you the test packets, then it's most certainly possible. If not, just find a school nearby that's willing to order the tests for you. You'd just have to take the test at their school when the time comes.</p>

<p>As to which is easier, that's more opinion based I'd say. From my knowledge, macroecon is more based on a larger scale while micro is based on a smaller scale, like personal involvement in the econ. I'm planning to self-study these two as well, so don't take my word on the differences too seriously.</p>

<p>If I dont do well on the tests (below 4), can I NOT tell the colleges I am applying to??
When do I have to register for the tests?? </p>

<p>What book do I use???</p>

<p>I found the best book to be 5 Steps to a 5. Kaplan was also pretty good, and was useful as a supplement to 5 Steps.</p>

<p>I found macro to be easier, but others have found the opposite. Macro is mostly about understanding the role of government in the economy and how things like monetary/fiscal policy, basic concepts like supply and demand, and foreign trade affect it. Micro is more about individual firms and understanding the reasoning behind their decisions such as to enter the market, raise price, shut down, etc. I'd say overall, macro is more content-based than micro, which uses more reasoning/common sense.</p>

<p>And yes, you can take the exam if you self-study. In my case, I took macro as a class, but self-studied micro. All I did was tell the coordinator, when he collected the names of all students taking which exams, that I wanted him to order an extra test for me.</p>

<p>And you can always choose not to send your scores to a school. Where it tells you to indicate which college you want the scores sent to, just leave it blank, and once you get your scores, you can pay the fee to send them. Or, you could put down the school, and if you feel you didn't do well on the test, you can cancel your request to send it.</p>

<p>what about an actual textbook? none???</p>