Self Studying AP World... Kinda

<p>I'm taking AP World this coming year (my junior year) as a class. However, EVERYBODY in my school has told me that the class is a complete joke in our school. The tests and quizzes are open note. The teacher doesn't teach--you play board games in the class for the majority of the classes. </p>

<p>It's the type of class where you will get an A in the class, but unless you basically self study the class, you won't get a 5 on the AP Exam. </p>

<p>History is one my strongest subjects, and I took AP US last year (which is considered one of the hardest classes in our school) and I had a B+ year average, I got a 790 on the SAT II and a 5 on the AP Exam. But that was with a teacher who wasn't a complete moron.</p>

<p>So the question is--what can I do to essentially self study the class to get a five when the AP Test rolls around? Do you suggest any textbooks or AP Test Prep Books?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>
[quote]
what can I do to essentially self study the class to get a five when the AP Test rolls around?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Read and outline the textbook throughout the year. Do essays as they pertain to the topic you are studying regularly. If you can get a hold of some of the old exams, those would be great for practice as well.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Do you suggest any textbooks or AP Test Prep Books?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Prep Books? Who uses those? </p>

<p>I kid. :p</p>

<p>For a textbook, I used [url=<a href="http://wps.ablongman.com/long_stearns_wcap_4/%5Dthis%5B/url"&gt;http://wps.ablongman.com/long_stearns_wcap_4/]this[/url&lt;/a&gt;] one. It was decent. </p>

<p>Plus, watching random documentaries or going on long Wikipedia travels works well for this class. I advise you to read the newspaper, too.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>I suggest using PR.</p>

<p>I slept through my AP world class and got a five. It's a ridiculously easy test. You can definitely do it.</p>

<p>Yes, you should read and outline the textbook. That is what I did in my APWH class. </p>

<p>The textbook I used is The Earth and Its Peoples: A Global History. I used a prep book, which was PR, but I did not like it at all. The textbook helped me more than did the prep book.</p>

<p>What is self-studying?</p>

<p>studying on your own.</p>

<p>Barrons Barrons Barrons Barrons Barrons! Read and get a 5!</p>

<p>You can self-study for this class. It wasn't offered at my school, so I did. Barron's is really good. Just make sure you read all of it. I got a 4, but I was barely halfway finished through the prep book :/ Yes, that's all I did. If I had some more time to study, I probably would have gotten a 5 D:</p>

<p>Read and outline your textbook throughout the year. Come April, go through the PR book. That worked for me (got a 5) !</p>

<p>I am a very strong advocate of PR for the WHAP.</p>