Selling a car

<p>Would love some input on this. I am selling a car privately. People who express interest want to take the car to their own mechanics before committing. While I understand why, I am not comfortable. We are talking about maybe a 45 minute drive in each case. Local driving I am fine with but the time and distance makes me nervous. How do people handle this?</p>

<p>Just say that the mechanic is welcome to come inspect the car at your location but that you don't want the car driven that far away. You might lose a potential buyer or two but there will be others who won't insist on driving it far away.</p>

<p>You could go along with them to the mechanic.</p>

<p>Unless you live in the boonies, ask them to choose a mechanic that's local (to you). If you do live in the sticks, your best option may be to ride the 45 minutes to and back. It makes sense to have a mechanic look when it's a private-party sale.</p>

<p>If it is an old clunker, it might be more profitable to donate it and get a tax deduction.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input. I am definitely not in the boonies and the car is not a clunker by any means. I think a local mechanic might be the best way to go.</p>

<p>Just wait for the right buyer. If I was the buyer I wouldn't take it to a mechanic since I'm capable of doing adequate inspections myself so you can wait for someone like me. I just sold a car with 100K miles on it and the buyer never even test drove it (which was sort of strange but he was buying it for someone else and wasn't interested in doing a test drive). It strikes me as unreasonable for a buyer to expect to be able to take the car for 2-3 hours and drive it 45 miles or so. </p>

<p>Regardless, even though private party sales are generally considered AS IS, I suggest you type up a small agreement that specifically states that the car is sold AS IS and has no warranty of any kind and have the buyer sign and date it.</p>

<p>In our state, automobiles must pass a safety inspection by a state authorized mechanic before they can be registered in the state, so either the seller or the buyer has to take care of that. We were hoping to get top dollar for a vehicle we recently sold, so we were happy to let the buyer take the car to a mechanic of his choice to get inspected. We subtracted the cost of the inspection from the price of the car.That said, we knew the buyer, so he wasn't going to disappear with the car.</p>

<p>"While I understand why, I am not comfortable. We are talking about maybe a 45 minute drive in each case. Local driving I am fine with but the time and distance makes me nervous."</p>

<p>Are you saying that you are uncomfortable to be driving your own car? If I were selling a car to someone who wants to inspect it by a trusted mechanic 45 min away, I'd offer to drive the car there myself and meet the buyer there. That would take care of any potential liability issues as well.</p>

<p>^^ The seller accompanying the potential buyer that far away would take probably 2-3 hours of the seller's time for a sale that might not even happen. Since according to the OP there are mechanics much closer, it's not reasonable to expect to take the car for that long or that far. The buyer can even ask their mechanic for a referral to a mechanic closer to the OP's location who can check the car. Just wait for the next buyer to come along.</p>

<p>Thanks Gladgraddad. I agree on all counts. I have no desire to spend my day taking the car to mechanics in towns fairly far away for a sale that may not happen and do not wish to have a stranger do so without me. I am fine meeting them at a local mechanic to get the car checked out. I do have an as is document typed up to be signed by the buyer. In our state the car gets inspected for safety and emissions once a year. This car will not be due for inspection until July so that is not an issue.</p>

<p>And most likely this buyer would get a report from his mechanic stating that your tires have little tread remaining, your brake pads need to be replaced, the shocks are shot, the transmission needs to be flushed, the timing belt needs replacing, along with many other items to justify a price far below your asking price. I wouldn't invest the time.</p>

<p>If you can wait, and this particular car happens to be in hot demand (seller's market), you should wait and/or ask for a buyer to take it to a local shop. You will sell it sooner or later, however, a check by a mechanic is pretty much a buyer's SOP nowadays. One thing to keep in mind is that buyers do pay attention at how many days a particular car has been advertsed, and a listing that has not sold in a couple of months in a relatively good market will be considered suspicious.</p>

<p>I agree with the suggestions to have their mechanic come to you rather than let anyone take the car or take a few hours out of your day to drive it to them</p>

<p>So the car was sold today. The buyer decided not to take the car to a local mechanic. Instead she took it for another test drive (I accompanied her) and could see that all systems were working. Thanks for all of your input. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't being unreasonable.</p>

<p>I've sold two private-party cars in the last 5 years (when my Mom died, and when my Grandmother died). I purchased CarFax for both, and advertised on Craigslist. I researched Kelley Blue Book for average price of the car, then searched Craigslist for my area (Orange County, CA) and the surrounding metro areas (Los Angeles, and San Diego) for same/similar make, model, condition, mileage). I wanted the cars gone, so I took $250 off the median price, knowing I was still going to have people want to negotiate even lower. In no case did I sell for less than another $300 off my asking price and CarFax helped the sale in both instances. </p>

<p>I agree about a local mechanic, and I ONLY met in a public parking lot (local grocery store) and took a man (neighbor) with me when meeting anyone. Both cars sold quickly and without a hitch.</p>

<p>I'm glad you were able to sell the car quickly without too many hassles.</p>

<p>Many years ago I worked in a small advertising agency and the owner asked me to place an ad to sell his old Jeep, for the price of $730.15. The book value of the car was around 600 dollars, but it was old and beat up so who knows? It ran well.</p>

<p>Two days later, he sold it for $730.15. I asked why he was so specific. He told me that 1) it makes the ad stand out, 2) people think he actually had a good reason for the price. </p>

<p>So I tried it when I sold my next car, adding .77 to the end (I like 7s). I sold it in two days. For the exact amount I'd asked for. </p>

<p>Yes, I still add random decimals to the asking price of anything I sell online. Why not?</p>