Dewan began applying for college in the summer prior to the start of her senior year of high school. She knew that she wanted to attend a public university in Texas, since that decision would allow her to better manage her tuition costs and be close to her family. She was a 4.00 GPA student all throughout high school and held many leadership and volunteer roles.
Statistics: Top 3% of high school graduating class (class size was 670)
Extracurricular Activities (High School):
- President of Toastmasters International Club (High School chapter)
- Hospital ER volunteer
- Library aide
- Varsity choir member
- Junior Air Force ROTC cadet
- Literary magazine poet
By late August 2017, @drp6134 was accepted to 9 of the 10 universities that she applied to and chose to finalize her decision between her top two universities. She was even flown out to the University of North Texas (UNT) to participate in an interview for a prestigious scholarship. After much deliberation, Dewan chose the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) as her first choice and UNT as the alternative. Based on her requirements, she chose to attend UTSA for her bachelor of science degree. This decision was life-changing since UTSA offered her a seat in a pre-health professions/certification program after she finalized her enrollment into the university.
Current Major: Microbiology/Immunology
Extracurricular Activities (College):
- Founder/Project Manager of HERO Cards' virtual volunteer project
- UTSA Leadership and Volunteers Services Department Intern
- UTSA Pathway to Health Professions' program member
- UTSA/Texas A&M University Community Health Worker Certification program trainee
- Texas Biomedical Research Institute V-LEAD program Intern
- Chromosome 18 Registry and Research Society Community Development Intern
- UTSA Health Education program (Health Nest) Peer Mentor/Educator
Career Aspirations: @drp6134 is hoping to pursue a career in the healthcare/biotechnology fields after attending graduate school. She is also interested in finance and business management.
@drp6134 will be our Guest Student of the Week so make sure to ask all your questions.