Sentence correction and WHY !!!!

<p>Kyle is more helpful than him </p>

<p>I will post more sentences as soon as I find any .....</p>

<p>Also everybody is free to post there sentences</p>

<p>Isn't it "Kyle is more helpful than he is"?</p>

<p>'Him' is wrong. Picture the word 'is' at the end of the sentence, which gives you "Kyle is more helpful than him is" which is obviously wrong.</p>

<p>So you could say, "Kyle is more helpful than he."</p>

<p>Thank you everybody I will post MANY MANY QUESTIONS today .....</p>

<p>Built at the turn of the century, the mansion displayed some of the oldest styles of architecture seen in the region today.</p>

<p>Since last night, Paul worked on his history paper, and he will probably still be working on it until tonight.</p>

<p>Before Patrick won the diving medal, he has dove since he was old enough to swim.</p>

<p>1) "Kyle is more helpful than he" is correct. Why? There is an implied verb here - " more helpful than he is." Because of the implied verb, use the subjective form. Remember, the structure of most sentences: subject, then verb, then object. </p>

<p>2) "Built at the turn of the century, the mansion displayed some of the oldest styles of architecture seen in the region today."</p>

<p>I want to say idiom error. Shouldn't it be "built on the turn of the century"? </p>

<p>3) "Since last night, Paul worked on his history paper, and he will probably still be working on it until tonight."</p>

<p>4) "Before Patrick won the diving medal, he has dove since he was old enough to swim."</p>

<p>^^^ The first one you said is correct but the rest are not correct ...... Grammar is driving me crazy ......</p>

<p>Realityisadfream-are you getting these questions from the Blue Book?</p>

<p>^^^no they are from a grammar section of a book...</p>

<p>Are these multiple choice questions?</p>

<p>^^^^no just correct whats wrong, there is only 1 mistake</p>

<p>2) IceQube - I don't know if you're right. "Built at the turn of the century, the mansion displayed some of the oldest styles of architecture seen in the region today." If you're implying that the mansion still exists today, I would say change "displayed" to "displays" to show that the mansion still has those features.</p>

<p>3) "Since last night, Paul worked on his history paper, and he will probably still be working on it until tonight."
I would say to insert "has" in between "Paul" and "worked" because it shows that he continues to work on the paper. So, "Since last night, Paul has worked on his history paper, and he will probably still be working on it until tonight."</p>

<p>4)"Before Patrick won the diving medal, he has dove since he was old enough to swim."
"Won" is already in past tense, and with the "before" there, the other verb should be in the past past tense. This one bothers me because I'm not quite sure what word to use...I guess "he had dived" might work. </p>

<p>I hope this helps.</p>

<p>MWcollege12: I meant to go back and edit the sentences I copied and pasted. I wasn't implying that the originals were correct :). </p>

<p>Unfortunately, I had to leave the computer (for more than 20 minutes) ...</p>

<p>2) I agree with your correction.
3) I was thinking of that too. </p>

<p>4) The past participle of "dive" is "dove."</p>

<p>Now, let's examine the logic. Logically, Patrick had started diving before he won the metal. </p>

<p>To say the above, the past perfect tense must be used. "Has dove" should be changed to "had dove." </p>

<p>Corrected version:

[quote]
Before Patrick won the diving medal, he had dove since he was old enough to swim.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>For number 2, it should be displays and not displayed because the action is continuous and still going on.</p>

<p>Oh no I meant about your thinking it was an idiom error. I think saying "on" would imply that the mansion was built directly on the turn of the century like it was a surface. Using "at" implies a timeframe. Sorry for the confusion. :)</p>

<p>Sorry...MWCollege beat me to it lol</p>

<p>well
1 displays is correct
2 has worked correct
3 had dived correct </p>

<p>My real question comes here why 1 displays why not has displayed or has been displaying
2 why has worked , why not has been working
3 why had dived, why not had been diving</p>

<p>Please post your answers I will sleep then post MANY MANY more questions .... see ya all :D:D:D</p>

<p>See if this helps for at least the first one: </p>

<p>1) ENGLISH</a> PAGE - Simple Present See the info under use 2</p>

<p>bump char10</p>