Service Magic Referral, Good?

<p>ServiceMagic.com</a> | Get Matched to Top-Rated Remodelers, Plumbers & More</p>

<p>When I went throught the yellow pages, I came upon many ads were placed by Service Magic. Anyone had experiences with their referrals?</p>

<p>I've learned that for each of their referrals they charge like $50-75, so when the sales person came to do the estimate they are a bit pushy. One of their referral bid a small paint job way to high, so I think they are over priced.</p>

<p>My girlfriend swears by "Angie's List" Doctor</a> Reviews & Contractors Ratings - Find a Doctor or General Contractor | Angie's List but I've not had reason to try them yet. If you own your home and are still in touch with your realtor or home inspector, that person may have a list of painters, etc. that do good work and are reasonably priced.</p>

<p>I swear AT Angie's List. When I last had a job bid out, the "Angie's List" contractors were all much higher priced than the non-Angie's List contractors, and several turned out not to be local at all. Found a much better local firm through talking with friends that had work done -- quality work, fair price (not the lowest, but fair). Angie's List may have started as something good, but it is a sales gimmick at this point. Buyer beware.</p>

<p>I check YELP's ratings AND comments. It has been a pretty good reflection.</p>

<p>artloverplus, we went through Service Magic to find a guy to do the finish work in a large addition project (new office, garage, bedroom and basement). It turns out he was pretty good at tile, but HORRIBLE at drywall finishing. I'm not very picky, but I still cringe when I see the poor quality of workmanship. And he was slow, slow, slow. My husband did call references, and they were OK. Anyway, we won't use Service Magic again. I think Angie's List is the way to go.</p>

<p>I use Yelp with a cup full of salt</p>

<p>
[quote]
Fertik says businesses understand that public criticism is part of the world of online reviews. “What they don’t understand is why a review that makes no sense has as much juice on these review sites as a review that is truthful.”</p>

<p>In Heather’s case, bogus reviews were getting more juice than the legitimate ones, owing to Yelp’s reviews filtering, a software algorithm that attempts to flag untrustworthy reviews. It moves those reviews to a filtered-reviews section, which doesn’t factor into the overall rating.</p>

<p>While Heather had 6 reviews that factored into her star rating, she had 33 more that did not. These largely 5-star reviews sat at the bottom of her page, accessible only when a viewer clicked the subtle gray '33 filtered' link offered there.</p>

<p>Yelp acknowledges that filtering removes legitimate reviews, but according to Yelp public relations manager Kristen Whisenand, “It is this high cost that we’ve chosen to accept because we know the infinitely higher cost would be to not have an algorithm in place at all.”</p>

<p>However, when Heather directed people to read her filtered reviews by posting multiple comments on her own page, Yelp notified her that this action was an abuse of its policy, and removed one of the comments.

[/quote]

Is</a> Yelp Fair to Businesses? | PCWorld Business Center</p>

<p>We have a local organization that has been very helpful & accurate. ( we saved thousands of dollars on our roof going with a highly rated company we wouldn't have known about otherwise)
Puget</a> Sound Consumers' CHECKBOOK</p>

<p>I had good luck with Service Magic, once with rain gutter repairs and another time with electrical. They were both also competitively priced compared to the non-Service Magic allied businesses (which I discovered when they finally returned my phone calls after the Service Magic referred work had already been completed). I have to believe it can be "hit or miss" with using this service, however. I got lucky twice in a row......</p>

<p>regarding the painting job. I hired a local guy for $300 while the guy from Service Magic Referral bid $900.. I could have done it better for $50 myself, if I don't have to climb 25 feet in the air. I guess he had to earn his $50 referral fee for unsuccessful referrals from the jobs he won. It might be different if the job was $10,000.</p>