SET Participants

<p>Any parents here had kids qualify for SET at John Hopkins?
Did you like the experience?</p>

<p>There is no "experience" of SET. Qualifiers get a scholarship for a course. In S's case, it was for a $2k reduction at a private school that had a $18k tuition. In other cases, it can be a fee waiver for a college summer course.
Besides that, S received a copy of the SET newsletter and of Imagine. That's it.</p>

<p>JHU/CTY now has a website cogito.org (in partnership with others) that offers resources and online discussion opportunities that I believe is an automatic "benefit" for SET qualifiers- Marite, I thought they were also supposed to get a mentor to work with.</p>

<p>The website is only for science/math, however - for humanities kids it's pretty useless. D said there used to be a listserv where the kids could talk to each other, but that's been dead for a while. All in all, while it's a nice honor, it's been pretty underwhelming.</p>

<p>Sabaray: Nope, nothing like that happened for S. It did not matter to him, though.</p>

<p>D enjoyed her CTY experiences- she did summer programs for 4 years as well as distance learning (math and writing)- what was interesting was the fact that the kids didn't really talk about their scores or define themselves in any type of hierarchy by score. It was a good experience for her to be with other kids that were as smart - and smarter. She's gone on the website a few times to "talk" with other students but mostly to access some research sites.</p>

<p>My son is in SET too, and there has been no experience at all, since he has never used the website or gone to any summer courses. I like to look at the newsletter, as he never opens it.;)</p>

<p>Oh, CTY was fabulous - it changed my D's life, and as a college freshman she's still in close touch with many friends she made in her four summers doing the program. But the subSET, if you will, was unimportant.</p>

<p>My oldest was a SET member. He was given the opportunity to take one "freebie" college course back when he was in 8th grade. He never took advantage of it because he could never fit it into his high school schedule as the college was quite far away. "We" enjoyed getting the "Imagine" magazines in the house, although he never looked at them. I did. I enjoyed reading about the colleges they profiled on a monthly basis. (pre-CC addiction? ;)) He really never took advantage of anything they had to offer. :(</p>

<p>And what colleges have your SET kids have ended up in/been accepted to?</p>

<p>My D did get IMAGINE, it was a great resource. She opted to do horse camp/volunteer with horses summers instead of academic stuff, which I fully supported.
Her friend who did EEP at UW, did something at Johns Hopkins with the Hubble Space Telescope, but that might have just been through the UW.
D did run into a lot of CTY kids at Reed though.</p>

<p>My kid missed SET by 20 points, but he still got into Harvard. ;)</p>

<p>(However he's going to Carnegie Mellon. And he* still *made careless mistakes in Math as a senior!)</p>

<p>He loved CTY, but still was very much on the right hand of the bell curve - even there.</p>

<p>Imagine is a really good resource. My D is not yet in college, so I can't say where she'll end up. But I doubt SET will have any bearing on where she is accepted-- there are so many other variables that come into play in admissions.</p>

<p>My S applied ED and was accepted to Swarthmore, from which he will graduate in two weeks. Heading off next fall to a Ph.D program at the Univ. of Chicago.</p>

<p>D didn't mention CTY qualification or participation in her college applications ( I don't remember SET)- she had taken a snail mail course in 7th grade but really her prep school had so much academic stuff, she didn't need the extra- she did like the course, but she was already doing lots of that sort of thing.</p>

<p>congratulations momof3- is he going to come "home" during the interim?</p>

<p>My son will mess up the SET statistics when he heads off to music school (only a junior, so don't know where yet), rather than HPY. Ah well. Always good to have a rebel in every group.:)</p>

<p>Allmusic,
I suppose that my S messes the stats up, too. Although a SET qualifier in math, he has no interest in math whatsoever, and majored in the social sciences. </p>

<p>EK4, he will be home for the summer, doing nothing much, with our blessing.
He needs the time to unwind and rejuvenate. Since he is fully funded by Chicago (tuition + stipend) who were we to object? :)</p>

<p>I thought that the free educational counseling might be useful - has anyone had any experience with that? I didn't find out about SET until my daughter was already too old. She would have needed over 800 to qualify! Oh well - she might have had a good chance qualifying with her verbal score if I'd known about it sooner, but she took the ACT (which does not count for SET) and even when she took that she would have needed a 770 or so. I guess since it seems like such a "non-experience," I don't have to feel too bad about not being more on the ball with her.</p>

<p>*he will be home for the summer, doing nothing much, with our blessing.
He needs the time to unwind and rejuvenate. Since he is fully funded by Chicago (tuition + stipend) who were we to object? *</p>

<p>I think that sounds nice- I don't get to see my older D enough but at least she is on this coast :)</p>

<p>
[quote]
And what colleges have your SET kids have ended up in/been accepted to?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>D just finished her freshman year at Yale.</p>