Several AP Chem Questions

<p>I have several questions for AP Chem that I can't find ANYWHERE in my book, notes, etc. </p>

<p>Would a kinetically unstable substance not be able to spontaneously react and if the substance was stable would it have a high activation energy?</p>

<p>Do Ionic or electron tranfer reactions (Aren't they the same thing?) have faster reaction rates?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Kinetically unstable means it has a lot of excess energy relative to its stable position, and if this energy is in excess of the activation energy of some dissociation or other reaction, then it will spontaneously react.</p>

<p>Stable substances have a higher activation energy simply because they start out at a lower total energy.</p>

<p>I think ionic and electron transfer reactions are the same thing. The positive ion transfers its electrons to the negative ion.</p>

<p>Normally ionic reactions go really fast... probably has to do with attractions between ions...</p>

<p>Thanks a lot! I had trouble figuring out what some of those terms were.</p>

<p>doesn't the negative ion transfer its e- to the positive one?</p>

<p>Ions form ionic bonds, meaning that the cation loses its electron(s) to the anion, and they are held together by ion to ion attractive forces, which, if strong enough, can lead to precipitates. (strength depends on electronegativity differences)</p>

<p>Also electron tranfer reactions are redox equations (i.e. photosynthesis).</p>