Shame on Susan G. Komen

<p>
[quote]
In one swift move, the Susan G. Komen For The Cure foundation has undermined its pro-woman, pro-health, pro-solidarity image.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>The</a> pink ribbon's ugly new image</p>

<p>I'll continue to wear my pink ribbon and wear it proudly. Good for the Susan G. Komen foundation !</p>

<p>Breast cancer kills women. That money went strictly to breast cancer screenings. Shame on the Komen foundation indeed.</p>

<p>I am so disappointed in Komen, but I think they realized they really messed up with this decision. I ran the very first ever Komen 5K and almost had a job as General Counsel there at one point. I can't believe they did this.</p>

<p>Boy, did they blow it. BIG time. I've been skeptical of Komen for awhile, ever since all of the "pinkwashing" started overtaking us everywhere. A friend of a friend did a pretty in-depth analysis of where they've been spending their money, and very little of it is spent on research. Here's a link to her blog where she discusses it: The</a> Cancer Culture Chronicles: Komen By The Numbers: 2010 And Still No Answers</p>

<p>More on this from Gayle Sulik: Beyond</a> Hypocrisy: Komen for the Cure’s Assault on Women’s Health</p>

<p>KAJVET24VBALL- The money that was cut was for breast exams.
NYC</a> mayor gives Planned Parenthood $250K matching grant - CNN.com

[quote]
Bloomberg's gift comes on top of the $400,000 that Planned Parenthood reported raising online from 6,000 donors the first 24 hours after the announcement.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Top</a> Susan G. Komen Official Resigned Over Planned Parenthood Cave-In - Jeffrey Goldberg - Health - The Atlantic</p>

<p>OP, I can't get your link to work.</p>

<p>When times are tough you find out who your friends are. I guess PP learned an important lesson today, and those who support women's health have learned that Komen is a false friend to women. Lost my support.</p>

<p>Lost my support, too. Very very disappointed in this decision. My guess is that at some point it will be reversed. The fallout is coming fast and furious.</p>

<p>Got me to donate to PP. Komen's idiotic decision will raise cancer awareness more than anything they ever did.</p>

<p>Nancy Brinker was featured on local news in Dallas saying that the decision had nothing to do with political pressure from pro life factions. I'm sad to say I don't believe her.</p>

<p>From WFAA.com (Janet St. James):

[quote]

In a video posted on the Komen web site, founder and CEO Nancy Brinker "set the record straight," saying cutting funding to Planned Parenthood was not motivated by political pressure and the abortion debate.</p>

<p>"We are working to eliminate duplicative grants," Brinker said in her online statement. "Freeing up more dollars for higher impact programs. And wherever possible, we want to grant to the provider, who is actually providing the lifesaving mammogram. We also added more stringent eligibility and performance criteria to support these new programs."</p>

<p>But a memo, obtained by the The Atlantic, outlines to employees the new grant-making criteria, saying that an applicant "...under formal investigation for financial or administrative improprieties by local, state or federal authorities, the applicant will be ineligible to receive a grant."</p>

<p>On the Komen site, News 8 found a list of 12 grants from Komen to Dallas County organizations, including Planned Parenthood. The full list can be found below this story, or by clicking here.</p>

<p>Parkland has been "under investigation" and in jeopardy of losing government funding.</p>

<p>Parkland's Breast Health Program received $150,000 from Komen. The hospital is still under federal oversight by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services for safety deficiencies that continue to threaten Parkland's federal funding.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I can hardly believe it, and am also profoundly disappointed.</p>

<p>I find it impossible to believe there is no co-mingling of funds to abortion. I don't think you can seriously separate any aspect of Planned Parenthood from abortion. That being said, I think this was a terrible decision. But to be completely honest, I've never been a fan of he Komen Foundation, so I may be looking for something to complain about.</p>

<p>suzy100, it worked when I just tried it, but it's a summary article from the LA Times. Just use Google News to find plenty of others.</p>

<p>Abortions, it should be noted, represent a mere 3 percent of all services offered.</p>

<p>
[quote]
"Pro-life should mean not just the lives of babies, but also the lives of women! This is not an either or situation," according to a statement released by the Doctor Susan Love Research Foundation, a Santa Monica-based breast-cancer research organization.

[/quote]

Dr</a>. Susan Love saddened by Komen decision on breast-health grants - latimes.com</p>

<p>They've also cut their funding for embryonic stem cell research - a $12 million loss.</p>

<p>Daily</a> Kos: Komen ends grants for embryonic Stem Cell research</p>

<p>
[quote]
That means the loss of $3.75 million to the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, $4.5 million to the University of Kansas Medical Center, $1 million to the U.S. National Cancer Institute, $1 million to the Society for Women’s Health Research, and $600,000 to Yale University. That’s a loss of nearly $12 million dollars in research money to eradicate breast cancer this year alone.</p>

<p>This is a new position for the organization which had previously supported all sorts of scientific research targeted at finding a cure for breast cancer and saving women’s lives. It’s new position is that the organization will categorically no longer support any embryonic stem cell research.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I find this very hard to understand. Koman ought to be ashamed. They have lost my support too.</p>

<p>Zoosermom, There is no co-mingling of funds. I'm on the board of a family planning org and we track every dollar. PP does the same.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Nancy Brinker was featured on local news in Dallas saying that the decision had nothing to do with political pressure from pro life factions. I'm sad to say I don't believe her.

[/quote]

She came off very badly on Andrea Mitchell's MSNBC show today, too. (The gallon of Botox in the woman's face did not help--she looked as cold and unfeeling as a marble statue.) The foundation needed to bring in some big PR guns to run the response--but in today's world, with the instant response reverberating through social media, you have to prepare in advance, or it's too late. Hard to believe they didn't anticipate the blowback. It'll be interesting to see if this story disappears with the next new thing on Twitter, or takes hold enough to bring about a change in the organization.</p>

<p>I never heard of her or the foundation. There are so many people giving money for cancer research, I can't imagine the decision is of much significance.</p>

<p>
[QUOTE]
Andrew Rosenthal of the New York Times writes: “[Komen] have not only made it harder for women to have abortions, but also to get birth control counseling, prenatal care, and now cancer screenings.”

[/QUOTE]

How does it do that?</p>