Shane and True Grit - June CC Book Club Selection

Our June selection is an iconic Western duet: Shane by Jack Schaefer and True Grit by Charles Portis. Both first person novels recount a pivotal experience in the life of the young narrator (Joey Starrett in Shane and Mattie Ross in True Grit) and an unexpected connection with a stranger who plays a key role in a time of crisis.

Both tales were originally told in serial form: Shane (as “Rider from Nowhere”) in Argosy magazine and True Grit in The Saturday Evening Post.

Shane was published in 1949 and is considered a Young Adult classic.

“Shane is a work of literature first and a Western second.” - St. George Daily Spectrum

“The author has created a tale which captivates the reader’s attention from beginning to end. . . . The book almost demands completion in one sitting.” - Library Journal

True Grit was published in 1968 and has maintained its popularity for over 50 years. It was recently selected for the 2020-2021 Big Read book list by the National Endowment for the Arts.

“Mattie’s voice, wry and sure, is one of the great creations of modern American fiction.” - George Pelecanos, NPR

“Quite simply, an American masterpiece” - Boston Globe

Discussion begins June 1st. Please join us!

5 Likes

I just picked up both books from the library. I’m really looking forward to reading them and then discussing them, of course.

Good choices for a busy time. It looks like I can fly through both.

1 Like

Yes, you’ll breeze through them. I have the hardcover of Shane illustrated by Wendell Minor. Reading it makes me feel like I’m 13 again, in a good way.

The cover illustration sets the stage - a lone rider on his horse travels a dirt road into a stark, compelling landscape…Minor visited Wyoming, consulted artist-cowboy friend Geoff Parker, studied early illustrators of Western genre such as N.C. Wyeth and Maynard Dixon for inspiration, even talked to Schaeffer’s son, Carl.
Shane Frame

Lots of Wendell Minor book cover art for you to peruse, @ignatius: Book Covers

1 Like

I thought I’d pull this up to remind anyone interested that it’s time to pick up the books. I should have timed them better myself. I finished both about a week ago.

Quick quick quick reads.

1 Like