Shopping with a girl

<p>There's this girl that I've only known for a couple weeks as acquaintances.
Next weekend she wants to go shopping together because there's not much going on on the weekend because everyone who's taking classes here right now usually goes home. We both live too far away to go home so we decided that the mall will be good to kill some time. </p>

<p>My question is this:
I'm single right now but I've only been shopping with a girlfriend or if I"m by myself I just go in and get the stuff I need and get out of there so..
Is there shopping etiquette for two people that just know each other as acquaintances?
Do I follow her around?
Do I buy her things?</p>

<p>Also I think she's cute if that has anything to do with it.</p>

<p>My experience is that women tend to browse a lot more.</p>

<p>Just follow her around. She may ask you your opinion about certain items. It doesn't necessarily mean that she wants the item.</p>

<p>My shopping style is similar to yours.</p>

<p>well you don't have to buy her anything but you can be nice, hold the door for her and in the future, try and make an effort to spend more time with her.</p>

<p>i don't have any tips for shopping etiquette though haha</p>

<p>As a person of the female gender, I will advise the following:
(As a CC required disclaimer: these are my opinions and are not applicable to all humans possessing a vagina.)</p>

<ul>
<li><p>Under no circumstance, should she ask if x-clothing article makes her look fat/ugly/big butt/big thighs/belly/etc. should you answer anything other than "no." No matter what you may honestly think.</p></li>
<li><p>If you like her, then offer to carry her shopping bags.</p></li>
<li><p>Pretend you're interested. The black stilettos and the black wedges she's just tried on may look identical to you--and simultaneously bore you to tears having to continue sifting through 20 pairs of black shoes--but...just pretend you're interested and that you can tell the difference.
Extra points if you pick something out and ask if she likes it. </p></li>
<li><p>Buying her things is not required. Though it wouldn't hurt if you offered to purchase a *small inexpensive<a href="no%20more%20than%20$20">/I</a> trinket of some sort. Bracelet from H&M or something.</p></li>
<li><p>Follow her around but don't get weirdly close to her. Mind the "personal space" rule.</p></li>
<li><p>This shouldn't need to be said but: hold open the door for her--particularly if you're interested in dating her one day.</p></li>
</ul>

<p>I agree with plattsburgh. I just went shopping with my boyfriend last weekend and that about meets my expectations.</p>

<p>Disclaimer: My thoughts and somethings that I would do. These are just suggestions from a person who has been on these trips many times with or without a girlfriend.</p>

<p>You could also ask her if certain colognes smell good (and maybe buy it).</p>

<p>If she asks you to try on clothes, don't be shy and have fun. Pick her out something (modest but maybe ridiculous) to try on if she asks you to.</p>

<p>Don't be scared to ask her to go in a certain store even if you don't want to buy anything. So long as it isn't a trashy store it is fine. Ex: upscale mens clothing store. Try something on and ask her opinion.</p>

<p>Just be open and have fun.</p>

<p>^^i figured out that those should be the case</p>

<p>but i just can't stop thinking, wouldn't that make me a liar? haha
i dunno, i've never had a girlfriend but im at the point where im nearly ready to think about it haha</p>

<p>It's not bad to be a liar as long as you are lying about the right things. :P A girl is very rarely going to ask a boy if something makes her look fat because she wants to know. They ask their girlfriends that. From a boy they want reassurance.</p>

<p>I asked my boyfriend which of two shoes he liked better, a sexy stiletto and a more modest wedge shoe, and he picked the wedge "because they look less painful." I love that he puts my comfort over his sexual gratification. XD</p>

<p>Well, you can tell the truth and say her ass looks big or lie and say it is very flattering. One choice gets her very upset and the other is harmless. Follow what Plattsburgh said.</p>

<p>Ahhh gotcha, well I guess I can make an exception then haha</p>

<p>thanks for setting us guys up with trick questions :)</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. You lost me on stilettos and wedges but I get what you're talking about now. lol</p>

<p>[Stilettos are the super-thin heel that could probably double as a dagger while wedges are thicker heels, making it easier to balance and walk. Wedges are often shorter, too.]</p>

<p>I don't know how much fashion taste you have [though I'm assuming you're like the average guy judging by your question], but if she tries on something that's absolutely hideous, you don't have to be afraid to tell her it's not her style. Don't say, "That's awful," but most girls love it when guys can say, "That would look great in blue." At least for me, I'd prefer knowing the person I was shopping with cared enough to notice both the clothes and what I look like.</p>

<p>Hold her bags? Buy her things? Let's not come off as a desperate doormat here.</p>

<p>I fully agree that in a boyfriend-girlfriend scenario, it would be nice to do these things, and do them if you genuinely want to (not out of obligation). But you've known the girl for two weeks? I don't know. If you're compelled to buy her anything for any reason - though why are you obligated? --- keep it under $5 unless you want to seem weird.</p>

<p>The one reason for being so accommodating to someone you don't know too well, is because you like her - we've all been there. So if you want to telegraph interest to her, or basically flirt with her, just flirt with her. No need to buy her stuff.</p>

<p>I'm not saying this to "save you some cash" or because I think you care about donating $20 to a girl you like. I say this because sometimes guys get overzealous trying to be irrationally nice (in the girls eyes) to a girl they like. Save it for when you are dating, or it might seem strange. She'll think you like her but you're being sneaky about it.</p>

<p>Anyway, I'd just walk around with her and bs each other. Maybe she'll try on some things, you'll try on some things to show her, it can all be good for a laugh. Just do what you'd do with a good friend. I don't think there's any ettiquette except maybe don't enter the changing room with her. Unless she offers, that is... ;D</p>

<p>I think buying something might be laying it on a little thick, besides maybe a slush or a pretzel or some sort of mall snack. offering to hold bags is nice. though i dont think id let a male friend i wasnt interested in hold my bags.</p>

<p>^^ Yeah watch it on the holding bags thing. If she looks like she's struggling (shifting bags from one arm to the next, or just has a lot), then offer to take some, but not all. It shows you're considerate without being a doormat.
Personally, I get a tad bit annoyed when guys offer to carry things for me, it makes me feel like they think of me as weak or whatever. I think that particular personality quirk stems from be being an athlete though...</p>

<p>If I were the girl in this situation and a guy offered to buy me something, I would definitely say no and think it was a little weird that he asked.</p>

<p>Shopping with someone, girl or guy, can actually be pretty fun. There's so much ridiculous stuff in malls these days--you'll probably have plenty of opportunities to laugh at it with her. It's especially nice when you're shopping for something that both of you can appreciate (like picking out a birthday present for her brother as opposed to shoe shopping).</p>

<p>What do you do if she goes into the panty/thong section? </p>

<p>Do you act cool or what?</p>

<p>I feel like she wouldn't do that with a guy she's known for only a couple weeks.</p>

<p>She probably won't do that if you're tagging along, but if she does--consider hanging back. </p>

<p>This randomly reminded me of when I was 13, and went to visit my father (divorced parents--live with mother), and I needed to by underwear. My dad literally stopped at the border of the store where the undearwear section started and refuses to step foot in as if there was an electrical fence blocking him.
It was pretty funny but very awkward. </p>

<p>I would suggest not being as obviously horrified as my dear old dad was. Unless you like awkward situations.</p>

<p>Maybe if she does goes into that section you could get really into it and start suggesting really provocative items for her haha.</p>

<p>Just a thought.</p>