Should colleges ban fraternities?

<p>Several points of view in this New York Times piece:
Frat</a> Guys Gone Wild: What's the Solution? - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com</p>

<p>I am in a fraternity and I can say 100% that it has helped me become a better man, take leadership roles in the community, raise personal self confidence, and even improved my academics while creating a bunch of great college memories I wouldn't otherwise have.</p>

<p>Of course I am more the exception than the rule since most of my brothers use it as an opportunity to get plastered 5 days a week. </p>

<p>I can understand the idea of getting rid of greek life. In my opinion it just extends a high school example of "cliques" and creates an elitist mentality amongst its members. The entire concept of fraternity and sororities is pretty bizarre if viewed by someone not familiar with american college life. They really do not bring nothing to the campus and while college is a time to meet different people from all walks of life and grow out of that high school clique mentality fraternities/sororities do nothing but divide people further.</p>

<p>Students are upset to the unfair advantage fraternities have. They dominate student government, create literally hundreds of connections that can be used later in life, throw all the parties which all the girls go to so I can understand the hate for them. I'm just glad that I am on the side thats, as charlie sheen would say, winning.</p>

<p>No. 10char</p>

<p>Nope.</p>

<p>(10 characters)</p>

<p>No. Keeps all the idiots out of the dorms and apartments</p>

<p>I don't think they should be banned but there should be stricter rules against them in terms of defiance.</p>

<p>There are good and bad fraternities and there are good and bad people in them. </p>

<p>Generally speaking, frats are not positively viewed by the majority of people at my university. I wonder why the majority of deaths occur at the fraternities here... not sororities... fraternities.</p>

<p>I think for many people, Greek life is an essential part of the 'college experience'. So, no.</p>

<p>I went to college where frats and sororities did not exist so they are totally a foreign concept for me. What I don't like about them is the exclusionary part of their existence. In order to belong, you have to make it so others aren't included or allowed to be included. </p>

<p>How is this supposed to help mankind unite and for people to respect everyone's differences and choices to have differences? If you want to be part of a group, join a club! Fraternities and sororities seem like they are based on artificial commonality. </p>

<p>Yes, I think they should be banned.</p>

<p>I think that the percentage of people who really want to be in a frat/sorority and are excluded from them is very small. I will admit that at big colleges with huge Greek scenes, they can be very catty and exclusionary, but I don't think that's an intrinsic fault of the Greek system, I think that's more a matter of the actual school. </p>

<p>In my experience most people who aren't Greek don't want to be. There are some people who are cut from rush and cannot find a house, but there are usually other options for them. Many people don't get the specific house they planned for, but most of them do end up really liking the house they do wind up getting.</p>

<p>It always seems on this board that whenever we talk about frats/sororities, those who are in them have an extremely positive view and those who are not have a negative view. I really think it's something you have to experience for yourself to truly "get," and at the vast majority of colleges that experience is open to almost everyone in some way or another, just maybe not in the exact way that you plan, which I don't find horrible.</p>

<p>Furthermore, getting rid of Greek systems at small schools may be one thing, but it would be completely impossible to get rid of them at larger, especially Southern, schools. The alumni are just too invested in them and they are too big a part of campus culture. What would happen is you would get underground frats/sororities (or just the same ones but unaffiliated with the school), probably occupying the same houses (if the houses are off-campus) so they would be essentially the same thing, and all you would get is less supervision of parties, standards, etc. </p>

<p>Clearly the Greek system is not for everyone, but it is for many people, and I don't think it should be banned at all.</p>

<p>I don't understand why people think cliques are bad. A clique is basically a group of like-minded individuals. Why do I want to be friends with a ******bag who I don't like? I'm not sure what people mean when they say elitist mentality but if you were to ask me if I thought I was better than you; I would say yes and if you don't think about the same way about yourself in regards to me then I hate to break it to you but you're a loser with a lack of self confidence and character and I wouldn't want to get to know you. </p>

<p>Fraternities attract the same type of person whether that pledge or person on the outside knows it or not. It's been proven that Greeks lead successful lives:</p>

<p>-48% of United States Presidents
-43% of Senators
-36% of Representatives
-85% of Fortune 500 Company executives</p>

<p>While Greeks account for less than 3% of the US population.</p>

<p>People either see these statistics or they are at a party and they see the girls over the guy who's the life of the party and not just standing in the corner and think "Oh, I got to get in on this."</p>

<p>What these two types of people have in common is drive. They want to better themselves.</p>

<p>It is our job to show our new members how to use this quality that's inside them by teaching the ideas in which are respective fraternities are founded upon. If you look up the history to pretty much any fraternity it will tell you something along the lines of the importance of being active in the community, philanthropy, being a gentlemen, or helping others in their history. </p>

<p>These teachings are passed on from one generation to another and instilled in each and every pledge to know what it means to wear our letters. Which is why you may see that Greeks dominate in school and later in life.</p>

<p>^Precisely why I don't support fraternities.</p>

<p>one of the great things about college is watching all the stupid **** that greek people do, college would be boring without frats.</p>

<p>Don't ban them. People would rather get drunk and trash a frat house than their own place.</p>

<p>Lmao someone created an account to respond to this silly thing</p>

<p>What great stats gogreek! I hope you know that the majority of the US have negative views on politicians, like how they're one of the most untrustworthy groups of people and take advantage of others (like frat men and drunk women)... so you actually helped to prove a point.</p>

<p>Wow, 48% of fraternity members end up as President of the United States? That's amazing.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Wow, 48% of fraternity members end up as President of the United States? That's amazing.

[/quote]

And, statistically, more than 70% of those Presidents are also CEOs of Fortune 500 companies!</p>

<p>For those who didn’t read the NYT piece, the arguments in favor of banning fraternities included the following:
-Fraternities are exclusionary.
-Fraternity membership (and, sorority membership) contributes to increased binge and frequent drinking and intoxication, including consequences such as hangovers, forgetting or regretting actions, missing classes and arguing with friends. (Sorority membership has an even greater effect on falling behind academically, driving after drinking and having unprotected sex.)
-Fraternities are associated with alcohol-fueled sexual aggression and assault.
-Historically, fraternities have been the most organized and vocal in creating a hostile climate for female students on campuses
-Fraternity dominance of the social scene of many campuses heightens risks for young women.
-Fraternity membership has been associated with cheating on exams and poor academic performance.</p>

<p>The arguments against banning fraternities included the following:
-Fraternities are a microcosm of American society. Banning college fraternities will not eliminate the underlying hegemonic masculinity in American society, nor will banning fraternities end college student sexual assaults. It’s misleading to presume that non-fraternity members are immune from such behavior. Focusing on the removal of fraternities from university campuses fails to address the root of the issue -- that sexism persists and is part of the fabric of university campus cultures.
-Positive outcomes of the fraternity experience outweigh the sensational, negative incidents that get notice in the media. As examples of positive outcomes, fraternities engage in community service activities and charitable fundraising, and the contribution of these activities to leadership development was noted. Evidence also suggests that fraternity members declare majors earlier, obtain higher-paying entry-level jobs and donate more to their alma maters.
-The problem of drinking cultures on college campuses is far more complex than just addressing that segment associated with fraternity membership.
-For most types and effects of alcohol use, only a small fraction of the gap between fraternity members and non-members is actually caused by fraternity membership. Most of these differences, therefore, would persist even in the absence of fraternities. Targeting alcohol awareness and education programs at fraternities and punishing them for violating alcohol-related laws and school policies -- and doing the same for sororities -- are seemingly more justifiable interventions.
-Banning fraternities may backfire since fraternities do not depend on universities to survive, and severing ties may only serve to eliminate university oversight. The most realistic path toward positive change is for university administrations to insist on playing a larger role in regulating these organizations, and to attempt to enlist members in change efforts.
-Lasting cultural change that must occur within these organizations will only come about through a sustained partnership and commitment to change among institutions of higher education, national fraternal offices, alumni advisers, and undergraduate fraternity members.</p>

<p>Best</a> Fraternities For Future CEOs - Forbes.com</p>

<p>being the man of the party is what you NEED to learn how to do to be highly sucessful in social situations. the guy with who gets it in with all the girls is the guy whos gonna be social in life and successful</p>

<p>ppl who hate frats just hate the popular highly social guys who get girls</p>

<p>^ahagabahaha</p>

<p>I say keep them we need to keep frat boys AWAY from dorms and such.</p>

<p>Also, as far as binge drinking and shiz... well, what is it called when stupid people do stupid things to keep themselves out of the gene pool? Social darwanism?</p>

<p>
[quote]
-Banning fraternities may backfire since fraternities do not depend on universities to survive, and severing ties may only serve to eliminate university oversight. The most realistic path toward positive change is for university administrations to insist on playing a larger role in regulating these organizations, and to attempt to enlist members in change efforts.

[/quote]

Probably the best point.</p>