Should I apply to scholarships?

<p>My efc is 0. Supposed I got accepted to an Ivy League caliber college and not state school, should I still apply to outside scholarships? Will the grants awarded by these colleges cut down if I do? I'm unclear on how this work.</p>

<p>it depends on the school. to my knowledge, outside scholarships usually cause grants from the school to reduce by that amount. but again, it depends on the specific school's policies.</p>

<p>Each institution sets its own policy about this. In some cases you can "stack" the outside scholarships on top of any institutional aid. Or you may be able to apply the scholarship money toward such school start-up costs as a computer, books, materials, etc.</p>

<p>Unless you already know where you will be going next year, you should apply for those scholarships. You may find that you do need them after all.</p>

<p>Don't stick to the oppposite ends of the spectrum by considering only Ivies and states. There are great private schools and good private schools that have generous merit scholarships.</p>

<p>My daughter goes to a decent private with very good merit. The school also allows her to stack the private scholarships, which has helped tremendously.</p>

<p>Shop around!</p>

<p>*My efc is 0. *</p>

<p>That may be your FAFSA EFC. Usually the schools that give the best aid (like the ivies) require CSS Profile, so depending on your situation, your "family contribution" may be higher.</p>

<p>Do you have a non-custodial parent? If so, then that parent's income/assets could get considered.</p>

<p>I agree with the above advice...don't just apply to ivies and your instate schools. If you have ivy stats, you need to apply to other schools that give large merit. </p>

<p>BTW.....sometimes state schools aren't safeties because they often don't meet need.</p>

<p>What are your stats?
What state are you in?</p>