Should I attend college for free as a Music major or major in what I want?

I will be attending college in Fall 2016. I received an academic scholarship that covers my tuition, as well as a music scholarship that basically allows me to attend college for free (if I do not live on campus).

My problem is that I don’t want to major in music. [Short backstory time] - My mom is a violin teacher and started teaching me when I was two years old, then started me on piano when I was five. I practiced every single day of my life, attended music camps, etc. When I was old enough, I started working as a professional musician (playing gigs for weddings, churches, restaurants, teaching private students, etc). Despite all this, I only enjoy music as a hobby, and as a means to make quick money. Once graduated (from college), I have no plans on obtaining a full time music job. I am already certified to teach privately, and I can easily obtain jobs playing for churches and other gigs. Therefore, I do not see a reason to obtain a Bachelor’s in Music, especially since I will not be pursing music related jobs in the future.

My other choice is to major in Global Studies. I am very passionate about East Asia, and because the university I will be attending does not offer an Asian Studies major, Global Studies is the next best option. If I major in Global Studies, I am planning on studying abroad (most likely for one year) as an international exchange student, while earning credits toward my Bachelor’s degree. The great part about this is that tuition is waived for exchange students at the university I would be attending (students only have to pay tuition to their home institutions). The only downside to this is that the music scholarship I was awarded would no longer be available to me, and my parents would have to pay about 5k a year for me to attend school. My older brother will also be attending college (as a junior), and they are already paying some 10k a year for him. I also have a younger sister who will be attending college soon as well (great timing, mom and dad -_-).

So, I am stuck between choosing to attend college for free as a Music major, or major in Global Studies and have my parents pay the 5k. I would appreciate any feedback/advise on this matter. Thanks!

Having multiple kids in college at the same time is great timing financially for aid by your parents.

If you’re able to get gigs as a violinist, and teach private students, why not do that to pay the 5K yourself - which I assume is for room and board while you’re studying abroad? Or you could get a summer job to pay for it - you could always be a counselor at a music focused camp, for instance. Don’t study music if you don’t want to. Are you positive you need to major in music to keep that scholarship? Was this an audition based admit to a BM program? What are the rules of the music scholarship? Many only require participation in school ensembles.

Can you double major?

If you don’t major in music you’ll have time to work while you’re in school. Between that and your gigs you should be able to come up with the $5k.

Yes, I’m wondering too, between the paid music gigs and teaching, were you able to save any money to contribute to college?

If you can contribute and your parents can, since they are helping your brother and will probably help your sister pay, then you should be able to pursue the major you want.

You could also take a gap year, work and save money and apply to schools that have your major.