Should I Be Ranked?

<p>I missed freshman and sophomore year of High School for medical reasons.</p>

<p>During freshman year, I <em>technically</em> took courses from my high school, but they were completely modified, as I was only allowed to do school work for 10 hours per week. I didn't cover what the actual classes covered and did not follow a curriculum that was remotely similar.</p>

<p>During sophomore year, I took independent study courses from a college in Utah in addition to a class at the local county college over the summer, which served as my high school courses.</p>

<p>For sophomore year, basically none of my classes were counted as "honors" because they were accelerated. Thus, I didn't get the .5 GPA boost that honors classes get at my high school. However, I did still get all As and A+s in these classes.</p>

<p>I have reduced credit requirements because of my medical absence. I am not listed on Honor Roll and other things because of this.</p>

<p>BUT, despite the fact that my classes cannot be compared to normal high school classes, my high school currently ranks me along with the rest of my class. I am about 40th out of 400. I firmly believe that if I had been in school, receiving Honors credit, I would have at least been in the top 5.</p>

<p>My guidance councilor keeps telling me that he'll put a note on my applications explaining that I was absents. However, I would rather I NOT be ranked and still have a note. I hate seeing that awful rank!</p>

<p>So, my questions:
1. Should I be ranked?
2. Will it hurt my chances at college that I am ranked?
3. Would it hurt my chances at colleges if I were not ranked?</p>

<p>I would say yes you should be ranked if 5 or 6 apps show up from other people from your high school to the colleges you are apping to and they all have ranks and yours doesn't it will look inconsistent which is not a good thing. I don't think the ranking will hurt your chances with colleges that look at more than just class rank and gpa as long as you can give them explanation and documentation. Finally yes it would probably kill your chances if they didn't rank you as it would look to be inconsistent with their standard.</p>

<p>Agree with UTPG, if your rank is not there, then that puts questions into AO minds.</p>

<p>Is there a way for your GC to put you into deciles, instead of ranking you?</p>

<p>
[quote]
I didn't cover what the actual classes covered and did not follow a curriculum that was remotely similar. .... I have reduced credit requirements because of my medical absence.

[/quote]

Personally I think the school is being remarkably kind in giving you the rank you have.<br>

[quote]
I firmly believe that if I had been in school, receiving Honors credit, I would have at least been in the top 5.

[/quote]

Based on the information you posted I have trouble believing you would have been in the top 5 because you could not have taken the same class load and that plays a part in ranking.</p>

<p>You're in the top 10%, so quit whining.</p>

<p>@Erin's Dad- They didn't "give me" the rank. It was calculated. I still recieved all As and A+s and I still worked hard, despite my medical absense. They didn't pull the number out of the air.
And when I said I could have been in the top five, what I meant was, had I not become ill and had I not had to be hospitalized, I believe that I would have been in the top five. I then would have taken more classes and I would have done far better in them. Upon returning for junior year, I have been recieving the grades that I think I would have recieved had I actually been in school during my first two years. I'm not trying to sound cocky. This is what my guidance councilor, teachers, and my peers have told me as well.</p>

<p>@Soze- When applying to the top schools, being barely in the top 10% is hardly considered an accomplishment. And I apologize for sounding as if I am whining. This is a genuine concern of mine, and I merely wanted to hear the different opinions on the subject. I am extremely worried over college as, in addition to the fact that my transcript is a little odd due to my situation, my family had $750,000 in medical bills, so I really could use merit-based aid.</p>

<p>I understand where people are coming from when they say it would look odd if I were not ranked. I think I should really be treated like a transfer student. Obviously, you can't compare the grading of two separate schools, so transfer students are not typically ranked among their classmates. Different schools have different grading systems. And the independent study courses that I took graded differently than my high school, so I felt that the two weren't comparable. My guidance councilor would still definitely attach a note explaining my situation, as it really did affect my high school career a lot.</p>

<p>I really do appreciate the input from people though. I just want that to be clear. I don't mean to sound defensive and obnoxious. I really want people to understand and give me input, as this is something that I am concerned about.</p>

<p>I think you should try to avoid being ranked, for what ots worth. Better to have them wonder why there's no rank on your app then have to read why youre 40th.</p>

<p>If your family really can prove they have that much in medical bills you should be able to get some very good need based aid.</p>

<p>We got 300,000 covered by a catastophic children's illness fund, and we ended up qualifying for very little aid for my older sister. I'm hoping that now that I have one sibling in college in addition to the bills, I will be able to get something.</p>

<p>And thanks, MSauce, for your input. I think I'm going to try to discuss it with my guidance councilor.</p>

<p>Which top schools are you applying to exactly? I was actually in the second decile of my class because of some pretty mediocre freshman grades. Still, though, I was accepted to schools like Duke, Cornell, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, UVA, etc. What are you aiming for?</p>

<p>I like Duke, Cornell, Dartmouth, UNC, WIlliam and Mary, URochester, Carnegie Mellon, UMich. I also have a few less intense schools on my list like UPitt and Northeastern. It's encouraging to hear that you accepted into top schools, 314159. Do you go to a really competitive high school?</p>

<p>Also, I got a 2330 (770 M, 770 CR, 790 W) on my SATs, 800 on Lit SAT II, 750 on History SAT II, and 740 on Chem SAT II. I'm definitely taking Chem again and will also be taking Math II (my score was embarrassing... I went into without ever looking at a review question, so I expected a low score)</p>

<p>Yes, I do go to a pretty competitive high school that admits ~20-25% of students into top 20 schools each year. But nice SAT scores- those should make up for your (still pretty good) rank. I would assume that your scores and rank would definitely get you into UNC, W&M, Rochester, CMU, Michigan, Pitt, Northeastern, and would give you a great shot at Duke, Cornell, and Dartmouth too!</p>