Should I drop Chinese School that I've been attending since I was in Preschool?

<p>I'm a Junior now and I'm currently attending Chinese school for 2 hours on Saturdays (takes about an 1 hour to trip to and back) so ~3 hours. Should I keep this EC that I've been going to since I was in Preschool or should I just drop it and use that time for homework? Time is very valuable to me as I always sleep really late and I don't have time to study for my SAT I/IIs... What should I do? I'm not planning on taking the SAT II because, unfortunately, I didn't do well in Chinese School. Therefore, do you think it would help my ECs considerably or would it hurt it?</p>

<p>I also played violin for the same amount of time but have only passed level 4 so far on a really hard test administered by some royal music school. That takes me around 2 hours every week also. </p>

<p>Should I keep these ECs + my club president position + sports(spring) or should I drop one to raise my SAT/AP scores? Please help me decide...thanks.</p>

<p>First, chinese school isn't really considered as that powerful an EC. However, it would define you if you love language, but seeing as you want to drop it to do homework, I'm guessing it doesn't garner as much respect as the other activities you are committed to. Focus on what you like to do, not what you think colleges want to see.</p>

<p>Are you really going to do homework on Saturday instead of Chinese school? Maybe a better strategy would be to stop sleeping so late.</p>

<p>You don't sound enthusiastic about either Chinese school or the violin, so I recommend that you drop them and pick up one new EC that you are excited about (or get a job) in addition to studying hard for your SAT/APs.</p>

<p>I highly doubt you'll actually use the time to study. It's only 3 hours once a week anyway.</p>

<p>Chinese school doesn't help you in terms of college, but that's not to say learning Chinese has no value. </p>

<p>In response to the other posts...not everyone can find an EC that they're passionate about which also look good to colleges. For instance, I love computer games, but I still have to do other ECs if I want to get into a good college.</p>

<p>ye do the things that you like. But, I really doubt that you dont have the time to balance chinese school and SAT studying. SAT studying should not take that much of your time. Maybe an hour a day is fine, and even that's a lot.</p>

<p>It doesn't really sound like you're passionate about a lot of the things you do. I would second the recommendation to get a job, or pick up an EC that you really like. It won't hurt to drop Chinese school. People drop way better ECs than that.</p>

<p>What I don't understand is how you can take 10 years+ of Chinese school and not know enough to take the SAT II. Perhaps this is just me and my passion for languages, but it seems like you should speak it almost natively if you took the class that long.</p>

<p>Of course I speak Chinese fluently; it was the first language I learned from my parents. However, SAT II Chinese is not just about the listening but the reading and grammar. Those are the hardest parts because of the number of characters. The Chinese idioms are okay because I've already heard my parents use them before. </p>

<p>I just don't think I'd score over a 750+ in Chinese... simply because I haven't reviewed consistently. I like learning Chinese but I have other classes/ECs too like being a president of clubs. </p>

<p>If I plan not to take the SAT II or AP, should I just drop it? If I plan to take the SAT II but get lower than 750, wouldn't the colleges not value the 8-10years of chinese as much? They would just think I was forced(which I was in the beginning lol) to go instead of me being passionate about it right?</p>

<p>Should I use that time to study for SATs and do hw or should I just go and spend 3-4 hrs since my parents already paied for it? (~350 dollars per year)</p>

<p>Chinese is a language that a lot of people are going to want to know in the future. It's not just for a test. I wish I hadn't stopped going to Chinese school, because I've forgotten how to read and write--and mostly speak. I would know nothing if my parents didn't speak/yell at me in Chinese all the time. </p>

<p>It is a valuable tool that you should definitely keep sharp. </p>

<p>Also, bilingual people rule.</p>

<p>I know that chinese is useful but it takes me 5hours to go to chinese school and back. Is it worth that trip? It is pretty far away from where I live</p>

<p>If you're a fluent speaker, just drop it. But make sure you keep up on it if possibly can. Read online news and watch YouTube videos. You can only learn a language so much until there's no point anymore. It's really useless if it takes so much time, because you can do much better things in 5 hours.</p>

<p>As an added bonus, you can read the news on the Xinhua website and look for discrepancies between the English news and the Chinese news, and look for the communist bias. Great stuff.</p>

<p>Go to Chinese school if you think you still have much to learn.</p>

<p>You can also look for the western bias between English and Chinese news. Great stuff.</p>

<p>A lot of colleges (Yale is one) have a large emphasis on China, and would rather value a Chinese applicant who spoke Chinese. Not sure if you listened to the Yale adcoms, but they usually give a large emphasis on their relationship with China in their information sessions.</p>

<p>I totalled up the hours Chinese school would take me and it is around 6-7 hours. (includes driving to and back, the class, and the hw time). I can barely keep up with my school work (I'm actually behind) and I haven't studied for my SATs at all... should I just drop it? It wouldn't be worth much on my app even though I've been to it for 10 years right? Plus, I think I can just self study at my home and take the SAT II if I want. If I score a higher score on it, wouldn't it be better leaving chinese school out of my app since it would be like I self-studied(what I mostly do b/c I only have 2 hrs of class/ week)?</p>

<p>Okay, I think I'm going to drop it. Do you guys think the 5 or so hours would be better used to study for school and the SATs? School grades and the SAT grades are the most important out of anything though right? Is 10 years of chinese school that big of an EC? It won't really help because you need to pay for it and other people might not have had the money to attend right? Seriously though, I just dislike the distance that we need to travel to get there....</p>

<p>Chinese school is not really an EC if you're just attending, but that's not to say becoming fluent in Chinese isn't useful...</p>

<p>The question is, how many people actually get very good at reading/writing Chinese by going to Chinese school? Most of the ABCs I met who are capable of speaking in Chinese and has gone to Chinese school for 10+ years still do not know how to read/write to a proficient degree.</p>

<p>Assess how much you're getting out of the program.</p>

<p>Oh and another point - if you're not really passionate about violin and it's hard for you to commit 2 hours, you might consider dropping that as well. Level 4 is considered to be basic/intermediate and will not give you a boost in college admissions, especially compared to the hoards of Level 8 violinists applying to top colleges (some with even teacher certificates!). But of course, if you love the instrument and want to continue with it, then go ahead. Just don't do it because a college "wants" you to.</p>

<p>Some people in my class are fairly good in writing/reading Chinese. I know that all you need to do is dedicate your time into learning chinese (I was really into it last summer and I felt a tremendous improvement). However, if you stop, for like a few weeks or so, you will lose some of what you have learned because you haven't used it in a long time. That's exactly what happened to me because I always have "gaps" when I learn outside things (because I value school grades to be the most important). I should drop it right?</p>

<p>does it take 12 years to become fluent in Chinese? Seems a long long time on a languare and I would think that after, whet 10 years, if it ain't happening, it isn't gonna</p>

<p>think about diminishing returns- are you actually going to get much more out of the chinese classes anymore, or have you kind of plateaued with no real interest anymore</p>

<p>After awhile, you need to decide if what you are putting into something is worth what you are getting out of it</p>

<p>Frankly, 12 years every saturday would be a bummer to me, and bore me to tears</p>

<p>So much more interesting stuff to do</p>