Should I Finish The Rest of my Math Course at My Community College Instead?

<p>I'm currently at a CC as a CS major. In order for me to complete my BS, I need to complete the calculus series and DE. I'm in Calc II now. In order to get my AA to transfer, I need to only complete Calc II. I need help in deciding on whether I should complete the rest of my math courses at my current CC or just transfer at a 4 year institution to finish them there. Here's the catch. I've been at this school for about 3 years. I did poorly in HS, and I had to complete a whole bunch of remedials. I want to get out of this school now. I see a whole bunch of my peers who are majoring in the soft sciences coming and going. The only problem is that I heard that it is much easier to pass Calc III and DE at a CC than a 4 year university.</p>

<p>Any advice would be appreciated.</p>

<p>If you can take your math at a CC, I strongly recommend doing it at the CC, the quality of teaching (for the classes in question) will be much better at the CC than at the 4-year university. You'll learn all the same material and do a lot of the same problems, but your class sizes will be smaller, you'll likely be taught by somebody fluent in English and somebody who has been teaching for a long time and enjoys it, rather than a grad student with minimal teaching experience in a huge hall of 100 people.</p>

<p>Are tests harder at 4 year institutions?</p>

<p>It seems like the difficulty of tests vary from teacher to teacher. It can vary from school to school too (MIT vs a CC) because they may expect may from the students. I would say there is a better chance of the tests being easier at a CC, but it's not a guarantee.</p>

<p>Any required lower division math for your major should be completed before transferring to a four year school as a junior. If you do not complete it before transferring, you will have to take it as a "catch up" course, which will reduce the number of courses you can take at the four year school after you transfer, or cause you to have to stay an extra (expensive) semester or quarter.</p>

<p>Well, I can tell you that 4-year institutions often have multiple choice tests for the types of math classes we are talking about, but I never saw a multiple choice test at my CC. Class sizes were small enough that you could have real tests and they'd be graded by the person who was actually teaching you. My multivariable calc teacher said his exams were harder than the mv calc exams at the state flagship school (he showed 'em to the teachers there).</p>

<p>That said, we are talking about first and second-year math courses and intro calc-based physics. Things do get harder after that. I never had a challenging class in my first 1.75 years of college, but now that I'm taking intermediate mechanics, things are getting challenging.</p>

<p>For a CS major, YES...take your required math at the CC.</p>

<p>The ability to learn new software technology is the key as far as a CS career goes.</p>

<p>When I was in college (decades ago, major engineering campus) we used to take a Calc over the summer between Freshman and Sophmore at the various CC around the state. It was a bit easier and more personal, plus if that is the only class you are taking in an 8 week summer term you kinda live and breath calculus. It helps you focus and get to where you need to be so you don't get behind during the regular year. So heck yeah if you are still at CC definately take that before you move on. Nobody is keeping score but you. Don't compare yourself to others. Just make sure you get it done.</p>

<p>Thanks, Guys. I plan on finishing Calc III at CC then take DE my first semester at the 4 year institution.</p>

<p>Be aware that some schools combine differential equations and linear algebra into one course. If your transfer target schools are like this, taking only one of these courses before transfer may not work out too well, since you may have to partially repeat the material taking the combined course after transfer. I.e. if you have already completed linear algebra, take differential equations before transfer. If you have taken neither, take both if you can before transfer.</p>

<p>Linear algebra is commonly required in CS degree programs.</p>