Should I give up graduate study for myopia?

<p>Currently I have been admitted by a master program in computer science.
My plan is to take the master period as a bridge and then start over
applying PhD program, also in the EECS field.</p>

<p>For me the myopia, over than -10.0D, is the only problem. It makes me afraid
whether I can survive the heavy reading tasks that all the graduate students
need. My father thought that only taking a master degree is more suitable for me,
while personally I decide to pursue the final PhD or just give up both.</p>

<p>Have you ever heard any cases succeed in their PhD with a serious myopia? I really
appreciate some examples or insightful advices.</p>

<p>I see that you are an international student and may not know what happens at U.S. universities. First of all, if you are legally disabled (i.e. blind or near-blind), you can receive accommodations, provided that the disability is properly documented. You still have to do the same amount of work; however, you may get assistance in some form -- recordings of the lectures, a student reader, extra time for assignments. Be forewarned: it's up to the university and your professors to decide what is reasonable. </p>

<p>Next, academia is reading-heavy. No way around that. It doesn't matter whether it's a PhD program or a master's; you'll still have to take two years of courses, with all the reading that goes with them. Even after you get your degree, you'll have to read to keep up on your field and to provide context for your own research. Note that if you do a master's first, then a PhD, you might end up taking four years of classes, depending on the PhD program. </p>

<p>One more note: if you are using a master's program as a bridge, make sure you select a research/thesis-based master's instead of just a course-based master's program. If you want to get into a PhD program, you'll need research, and you simply won't get that with a course-based one.</p>

<p>Can you read? I'm myopic but not that badly. I don't know what kind of accommodations you'll need with that kind of myopia, but it appears that you're posting on the Internet in hopes of responses so I assume you can read a bit at least. If you can read lots of material with some kind of assistance (a screen reader, a program, a helper) that a university can reasonably provide you, you can probably undertake doctoral study.</p>

<p>Thank you for all these replies. Actually I thought the myopia will result in underproductivity for some reasons, includes:
1. Discomfort in the face: all the weight of a frame will stress on your nose thru two hard lobes, or if you wear contacts the sense of it is no longer natural.
These days I was trying a circle fixed on my head which hung up the frame, fortunately it made me feel better. The disadvantage was that the metal circle is heavy and instable.
So I am wondering if there are novel comfortable frames in America?<br>
2. Fear of progress or even retina detachment. I have heard in U.S there are people using atropin to stop overgrowth of their eyeballs, does it work out? And what is the most reliable way to prevent retina detachment?</p>

<p>Maybe my discomfort with frame is not very typical, since my nose has experienced surgery</p>

<p>No one here is going to be able to answer medical questions. If you have degenerative myopia that is heading toward blindness, then that is a different matter than extreme myopia. The first needs specialized medical attention and treatment, while the second requires the proper fitting of eyeglasses. For the last, I can say that we have extra thin/lightweight frames for eyeglasses as well as specialized contacts for conditions such as astigmatism and eye sensitivity. Are these available to you? I know someone who is legally blind and who wears eyeglasses without any kind of forehead support. If contacts are available to correct your vision (they may not be), then I highly recommend that route. They are not unnatural at all once you get used to them and actually are a lot more comfortable than wearing eyeglasses. And almost everything on the computer can be enlarged to make it easier on your eyes.</p>

<p>If you suffer from a particular degenerative disease, then only your doctor can answer about the best treatments and how to minimize the risks of retina detachment. </p>

<p>Getting back to graduate school, only you can know whether your disability will prevent you from finishing. Yes, you might have to work harder than your peers to keep up, but if this is your dream and you can overcome your disability to complete it, then it will be worth it.</p>

<p>Have you considered clear lens extraction? It can correct 15 degrees of myopia and eliminate the need for heavy lenses.</p>

<p>Have you considered learning braille? If you are in a US school you should be able to get any textbook in braille free of charge.</p>

<p>The risk of retinal detachment will always be there whether you are in grad studies or not, whether you are reading or not. So it should have no impact on your decision.</p>