Junior here - Princeton is definitely my top choice, but I’ve heard that SCEA might not be worth it. Am I a competitive enough applicant to apply SCEA? Does it provide any sort of boost? I’m not really interested in any of the ED schools.
- US domestic
- State/Location of residency: Texas
- Type of high school: Large, public high school (600 kids per class)
- Gender/Race/Ethnicity: Asian Male
- Other special factors: N/A
ECE or ORFE
GPA, Rank, and Test Scores
- Unweighted HS GPA: 4.0/4.0
- Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 5.88/6.0 (about a 99 average)
- Class Rank: 1/600
- ACT/SAT Scores: 1580 SAT, 1500 PSAT
APs: Physics 1, Physics 2, Calc AB, Calc BC, Lang, HuG, US History, US Gov, Macro, CSA, CSP, Stats, Seminar, Env Sci - have gotten/expecting 4s and 5s on all
Senior year APS: Lit, Phys C (both), maybe a dual enrollment? not sure yet
Highest level of math reached, will reach honors French 3 by the end of senior year. Couldn’t take a language this year due to scheduling conflicts.
Awards (I know CommonApp only allows 5, but I’ll find a way to squeeze in the extras into my EC descriptions).
- Recognition from TX govt for research I conducted independently, received a grant from TX govt and a foreign nation for this research
- 25k grant with another research group at a university
- AIME qual/AMC honor roll (6 on AIME)
- TEDx Talk about STEM concept
- 2x Texas State Finalist in DECA, 2x ICDC Qualifier
- BPA Texas State Champion for my event, NLC Qualifier, NLC Finalist/Top placement
- Projected National Merit Semi
- DECA Scholarship Winner
- Hugh O’ Brian Nominated Delegate + Scholarship Recipient
- Random robotics awards ?!?!?
I’d like for my spike here to be focused on humanitarian engineering/STEM efforts, but then again, not sure if that comes across well enough on my app
- FRC Robotics - 20 hrs a week. This is by far my greatest time commitment. My robotics team is ranked in the top 10 in the world, we’ve won worlds multiple times, lots of accolades from my robotics team
- Engineering research - Work with grad students and professors to research and developed solutions to a problem that ails disabled people. (25k grant in my awards)
- Independent engineering research - Work with a local Boeing engineer to research and develop a solution for a local environmental problem (this is the recognition from TX govt + grants)
- Coaching a local middle school math team, mentoring elementary school VEX teams
- Started an initiative to address financial illiteracy in kids using STEM and coding
- President of SNHS, VP of MNHS - set up meetings, host competitions, invite guest speakers, etc. Typical club stuff.
- DECA/BPA - president of my school’s DECA chapter, competitor in both. I do research and even though both of these are more business related, both of my events are more related to STEM.
- Volunteering at a local hospital
- Piano? I’ve gotten a few meaningful awards
I would ideally like to also find some sort of activity that combines writing and my passion for engineering - I’ve heard that Princeton appreciates writing and humanities in every applicant.
I would predict my essays to be reasonably strong? Not sure
My LORs from teachers won’t be stellar, but they’ll be sufficiently strong. Supporting LORs will be really good (not from teachers)
Cost Constraints / Budget
- N/A, parents are willing to go full pay and I’m willing to take out loans
- Safety: A&M (EA, auto-admit)
- Likely: UT Austin (EA, auto-admit)
- Match: Rice (RD)
- Reach: Princeton (SCEA) ( i lov u pton ), Stanford (RD), MIT (RD), Harvard (RD), Yale (RD), UPenn (RD), Oxford (Early)
I just need advice on whether or not to apply to Princeton SCEA. I’d be happy going to UT Austin, but ultimately, my dream school is Pton
Thanks in advance!