Should I go to a State School to Save Money?Cuz Honestly,I don't want 6 credit cards!

<p>Hi, I’m a current sophomore but I just kind of want to do a bit of college research (you know starting early) before I become a sleepless zombified junior.</p>

<p>I’m kind of interested in business/engineering right now and I am highly thinking of double majoring in both. I also started dong A LOT of research into schools that can provide me with a good Business/Engineering education. I have come up with only two sadly: UPenn and UT at Austin</p>

<p>UPenn----> Hands down is better and incredible, and they have this thing called the Jerome Fisher Program where only 50 ppl get it and it gives you a business/engineering degree… but alas Ivies are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO expensive!!! Like I probably, including cost of living, coffee, tuition, transportation am looking at over 40k!!!</p>

<p>But then I look at UT, its a state school and I am a texas resident. I am currently number 1 in my class (this will drop since I have a 4.0 band but that’s ok :smiley: I love band), but chances are I’m gonna hopefully stay in the top ten percent so I have guranteed admittance into that university. and I probably will get accepted into either cockrell or mccombs (hopefully), and its a LOT cheaper, plus I can probably hope to go to state in UIL academics which will open up more scholarship opprotunities for me.</p>

<p>At the same time though, even though both UT’s bus and eng school are in the top in the nation… wharton is wharton ya know?</p>

<p>So honestly, even though its a bit early for me, which one do you PERSONALLY think is better?</p>

<p>A lot of “top schools” can be miss leading. If you have good stats, which it appears you do, I would attend the best school in your state. You should get money from them, and most states have some scholarships for such students. Especially if you are looking at business. After you get your undergrad (and still have money in your pocket!!) you can look into Ivies for grad school, which is what they are known for and you will get the proper attention.</p>

<p>Smaller schools and schools other than state schools are good if you feel you will do best in smaller more personal environments. But large universities have good networking oppertunities</p>

<p>that’s just my opinion…there are sooo many other characteristics to consider though!</p>

<p>OP: I think two major questions you’re not asking yourself is what type of career(s) do you see yourself being interested in and where you’d like to work?</p>

<p>Like if you wanted to stay in Texas after college, I’d say that UT BHP/Engineering > Wharton because as you know, UT holds a hella lot of prestige in Texas and you wouldn’t have to deal with the whole stuck-up/spoiled/entitled/arrogant stigma that sometimes gets attached to Ivy grads when they interview for jobs.</p>

<p>Personally, I like UT, so I’d probably shoot for UT BHP/Engineering, but then again that’s just one man’s opinion.</p>

<p>I would recommend UT. I know a kid that got into the Jerome Fisher program personally. He was the smartest kid I’ve ever met, and broke the GPA record for my high school. Never got a single A-, but when he got to Penn, he really had a difficult time. I think in the Fisher program they load a lot of stuff on you, trying to get all the courses crammed in in time, and that makes what was already a tough ivy league education even tougher.</p>