Should I mention this EC?

<p>Ever since my friend introduced me to it in the sixth grade, I have text roleplayed almost every day since. Somewhere in there, I had been a forum creator/admin/mod for a couple of years but I doubt that would impress any admission officers and, now that I am a high school junior, I don't roleplay as much as I used to—I still plug in about three hours worth every day though. It was this hobby of mine though that has fostered and encouraged my love for writing.</p>

<p>So, should I mention this when I apply next year or just forget it?</p>

<p>That actually sounds kind of pathetic.</p>

<p>Yeah, that was me from sixth to eighth. It depends. You could word it as "collaborative fiction" and it sounds a lot more palatable than "roleplaying" (which might have undesirable alternate/sexual connotations). I'd personally advise against it unless you can show extraordinary dedication above the level of obsession (not just being a forum mod but the creator of a thriving and active new forum—"online collaborative writing community", see what I did there?).</p>

<p>Hey, I put four years of involvement in NaNoWriMo down on my apps, I'm in no position to judge anyone as pathetic.</p>

<p>@Greekfire
Yeah, using different terms than 'text-based roleplaying' does seem more wise and places the activity in a more favorable light. I used to be a creator of an "online collaborative writing community" but Junior year has been so insane that I put it on hiatus for nearly the whole year. I have been thinking of rebooting it though.</p>

<p>Anyways, thanks for the advice. I suppose I'll think about this more.</p>

<p>If you mention how dedicated you were, it might help.</p>

<p>@ OP: wait, by "text roleplaying," are you referring to sexting?</p>

<p>If yes, I would absolutely not.</p>

<p>If no, well then I agree with the other posters - change this activity's connotation unless you want college adcoms to be confused like I was and assume you're some sort of pervert.</p>

<p>@lizphysicz
No, definitely not.
It's like creating a story with other people - hence Greekfire's suggestion of referring it to as "collaborative fiction."</p>

<p>From Wiki:

[quote]
Play-by-post games are usually written in the third person perspective. This allows the players (and gamemasters, if any) to write in the personas of their characters. This is the best way to separate the player character from the person playing the character (the typist), and it makes the game more readable. Sometimes online game terms such as OOC (Out of character) or OOG (Out of Game) are used to differentiate character vs. personal posting.</p>

<p>The first message posted onto a thread of that nature is usually one person laying down the scenario, starting a story about their character and inviting others. The thread then becomes an ongoing story in which players periodically advance the plot by reading the latest reply and then typing what their character does and how the environment changes in response. These replies are often open-ended so that other players can continue.

[/quote]

So, yes, I should change the connotation.</p>

<p>Ohhh I see.</p>

<p>they prolly think you're crazy sorry</p>

<p>by the way i kick ass at call of duty </p>

<p>1v1 me noobs</p>

<p>^ ur crazy.</p>