should I resubmit forms with additional household member?

<p>Yikes! I just realized that I could have listed my 23yo daughter as a member of our household. She is working abroad now, but plans to move back home in August for a year, to work and save money for grad school. I filled out FAFSA, CSS Profile and those pesky verification forms saying we had three in the household--mom, dad, and son. Is it worth it to file an amended FAFSA and resubmit the verification form now? I could also wait and only do the changes for the schools my son is accepted to. Would increasing the household size even make much of a difference? Any advice appreciated...</p>

<p>The financial aid officers on this forum would know the answer to this, but I’m not sure how much it matters that your 23 yo daughter will probably not be your dependent for tax purposes. Since she has been and will continue to be working, she is probably providing more than 50% of her support. This is a different situation from having a DEPENDENT child as part of your household, but I really don’t know how the FAFSA treats such situations.</p>

<p>I figured room and board was good for 50%+ support, but that’s a good point, MomCat2, and I’ll do a little more research on it.</p>

<p>Here is the IRS worksheet (from Pub 501) for determining % of support:
[Publication</a> 501 (2010), Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information](<a href=“Publication 501 (2022), Dependents, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information | Internal Revenue Service”>Publication 501 (2022), Dependents, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information | Internal Revenue Service) The earlier parts of Pub 501 are helpful as well, as they spell out all the definitions and criteria for declaring someone your dependent. </p>

<p>Here is a recent thread discussing the “member of household” issue for FAFSA:
<a href=“[/url]”>;/a&gt;
For FAFSA, you must be providing (or will be providing from July 1 2011- June 30 2012) more than 50% of support to list the person as a member of household, same as the IRS “support test” to list a child as your dependent.</p>