Should I submit my SAT scores in competitive colleges if I have a high math score but a low English score?

Hello, I’m a student from Bangladesh. Recently I took the SAT exam. I got a 1440, a 790 in math but only a 650 in English. Should I even bother applying to some of the t20 schools with this score? Probably wont get the time to retake the sat this year either.

You might want to reprioritize your time

At this point, many colleges that were test optional aren’t. And for the colleges that are test optional, the jury is still out on how optional they are for internationals. IMO, they’re not optional.

3 Likes

The problem is my boards exams are coming up so my parents aren’t really supporting retaking the test anymore. Also another question, for some schools, If my score is 20-30 less than their range, should I go test optional if I can or still submit it?

You can still submit. But let me be frank - you won’t be accepted with test scores below the range and you won’t likely be accepted without test scores.

International acceptances are difficult at top schools, particularly for students from overrepresented countries; they taking the best that Bangladesh has each year, and there are applicants that balance national exams with SAT prep.

You can certainly apply, but you need to be realistic.

2 Likes

Have you considered the TOEFL?

Im considering taking the duolingo english test soon

DET/TOEFL is often an additional requirement for international applicants. But really, it’s binary; you either achieve the required score or you don’t. But invariably, a strong English proficiency score doesn’t negate a below average SAT.

1 Like

I would recommend you do a full Match Me, and definitely do NOT fail to include your total budget, the maximum you and your family can pay per year including everything–tuition, living expenses, health insurance, transportation, and all other costs.

As a preview, a full pay International with your test scores could potentially have many excellent US options to consider. The lower the budget, the fewer are likely to meet your budget. If it is really low (by US standards), well, realistically, you might need to be looking elsewhere for undergrad.

2 Likes

You might want to expand your list beyond top 20.

I personally would not submit a score below the average.

There is often debate on this though. There was a recent thread where a student submitted to Bowdoin a score 70 points below. Many said not to. The student wasn’t admitted. They were admitted to others they applied TO.

Some will say - if you’re above your peer group, to submit. I think this score is too low. Top 20 schools may have an acceptance rate below 5%, some much lower than that - so your odds are slim period - having too low a score will make it near impossible - as will having no score.

Oh yeah, I have some LACs in mind. I was just wondering if I should give t20s a chance or not. Seems like I shouldn’t with this score. My top choice currently is Grinnell.

Only you can decide. Grinnell says this. I would - and hope that your duolingo score is robust to allow the English to be forgotten.

  • If you think your scores are an accurate representation of your ability, then you should feel free to submit them. If you feel they are not, then don’t submit them.

  • If you get the score you hoped for, and especially if it’s above average for Grinnell, submitting the score may help you in the admission process.

  • Keep in mind that we consider your test score in context. Even if your score is not above average for Grinnell, but it is for your high school or neighborhood, your score may help you in the admission process.

  • A high SAT or ACT score can offset a low GPA. If you don’t submit a score, we have less information about your academic performance. If you have a low GPA but do well on the SAT or ACT, your test score can be an important indicator of your potential to succeed in college-level classes.

1 Like

Some test optional schools prefer international students to submit test scores…the more selective the school, the stronger that preference.

With that said, there is a lot of nuance to schools’ policies. Some schools have a no-harm testing policy, meaning if you submit and the score doesn’t help you, a lower than average score won’t be seen as a negative. Further, some schools give guidance and say something like if your ‘SAT/ACT is above X, you should submit.’ So, you do need to research what they say on their websites and/or in their info sessions.

Rather than ask anonymous people on the internet, some who have little experience helping students make these decisions, I would encourage you to reach out to your admissions officer at each school on your list and ask them to give you guidance on whether or not to apply with your test scores. Many will do that, some won’t. You can also ask this question when you do live zoom information sessions, which I strongly encourage you to do.

If you would like help on building a college list, you should create a chance me post as others have suggested. Good luck.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.