Should I take AP Chem or AP Stats?

<p>Background info:
Have already gotten a 5 in AP Calc BC, taken AP Calc AB junior year.
If I don't take Stats, I will only have 3 years of math.
Have never taken a chem class.
Also taking AP Bio this year.</p>

<p>If I had my pick, I would take both. Unfortunately, schedule conflicts. >.<</p>

<p>EDIT: Also, what do you guys think about taking AP Psych (the class) if I've already self-studied a 5 in that? lol</p>

<p>Since you have received a 5 on AP Calculus BC, ever thought of signing up for multivariable calculus at a nearby college? If you can, that would be a fourth year of math right there.</p>

<p>Regardless, I would pick AP Chemistry over AP Statistics.</p>

<p>^My nearby college has no multivariable calc/discrete math. :/
Also, everyone at my school who take AP Chem has no previous experience in Chem.</p>

<p>And thanks for the input. What do you guys think about taking AP Psych (the class) if I've already self-studied a 5 in that? lol</p>

<p>^I would say no to AP Psych; it's too easy and it's not worth wasting your time on. Maybe a 'real' college class on Psychology (or a slightly different topic such as Sociology) would help, but I'd save the class space for something academic.</p>

<p>Personally I'd take AP Stats to fulfill the four years of math--a 'recommendation' at many colleges, though it depends. AP Chem is going to be harder, and will not be needed for Biology (or vice versa).</p>

<p>If you're really, really torn and you have a dream college, try emailing a rep there and asking which class would hold more weight.</p>

<p>I would take Chem. There's no use in taking Psych if you've already scored a 5 on the test. And I don't know what you're interested in studying in college, but Chem would most likely be useful.</p>

<p>The only reason I would take Psych over again is because I won't have a full schedule (of APs/Honors) w/o it. In fact, I'd have a missing period. </p>

<p>Hmm... I'm wondering, does it count as 4 years of math if I've taken the highest possible math course (Calc)? Even if I don't take Stats?</p>

<p>EDIT: These are my choices (all AP):
Bio, Chem, Gov/Econ, Enviro, French, Lit <-- Although I'm not quite sure if my school will let me take 3 science classes
Bio, Stats, Gov/Econ, Enviro, French, Lit<br>
Lit, Stats, Gov/Econ, Bio, French, Psych
Lit, Chem, Gov/Econ, Bio, French, Psych</p>

<p>
[quote]
The only reason I would take Psych over again is because I won't have a full schedule (of APs/Honors) w/o it. In fact, I'd have a missing period.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>There's no other classes at all? Wow. In that case I'd only take AP Psych if you were in the running for valedictorian based on weighted grades, but even then that's a waste of time.</p>

<p>I don't think it counts as four years for having taken the highest math, but I would check with someone like a counselor or an admissions rep to confirm.</p>

<p>^^Also, AP Stats is more useful than Chem if one wanted to major in Psychology. Maybe even in English, slightly (very slightly). Other than that, Chem is viewed as more rigorous.</p>

<p>EDIT: I'd do Environ if your school let you, AP Biology helps for it and it's super easy.</p>

<p>What do you want to major in?</p>

<p>I wanted to apply undecided, but I toyed with applying with Chem to some.. but then again, I've never taken it so how would I know? Ya know?</p>

<p>Does it look bad if I have a free sixth period? Like "Lit, Chem, Gov/Econ, Bio, French"? This is the reason I would have taken the AP Psych class, to fill in that missing 6th period.</p>

<p>Take Stat. It's much easier and less time consuming.</p>

<p>Hm, I'm leaning toward trying to get the Chem/Bio/Enviro triple, though it's sort of unlikely.
So my scenario now is: 5 APs and an early dismissal bell vs. 6 APs with one being an exam that I already self-studied a 5 in....</p>

<p>I'd do AP Stat since many many colleges recommend 4 years of math.
AP Chem without any background knowledge is harder. Requires more time.</p>

<p>You can take AP tests without taking the AP class! There is no official rule on needing to take the class. I know a girl who dropped AP English because the teacher sucked and then got a 5 on the test. So just take the AP Psych test if you are confident enough.</p>

<p>My question is does AP Calc count as 4 year of math? I would think that Chem > important than Stats.</p>

<p>Yes, I realize that. I was saying that I've already taken the AP Psych test, gotten a 5, and now am considering actually taking the class.</p>

<p>When colleges say they want 4 years of Math, going through Calc BC is sufficient as well. </p>

<p>AP Stats is easier, but also won't get you credit hardly anywhere. AP Chem is harder, but gets you credit for at least 1 semester of Chem at most schools.</p>

<p>I recommend solely taking 5, one of which being Chemistry. I think that you'll need that extra time to comfortably complete the class.</p>

<p>Statistics isn't math.
Do AP Chemistry. It's easy if you put your mind to it. You'll hate yourself somewhere in the middle, but once it's over you'll feel so much better.</p>

<p>Just take AP Stats, you already have a pretty damn tough schedule.</p>

<p>At least that's what I would do. Especially without a background in chem, at all.</p>

<p>Take AP Chem. I'm taking it Junior year without any background in it. It shouldn't be a problem.</p>

<p>ok, well thanks everyone i'm pretty confident i can do well in all of my classes regardless so i'mma just take 5 classes and try and get chem. thanks</p>