Should Le Creuset Look Like This?

<p><a href="http://creforum.info/s/P1100277.JPG%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://creforum.info/s/P1100277.JPG&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I bought it as a genuine pot, but after several dishwasher cycles, the label is falling off, see pic.</p>

<p>Your thoughts?</p>

<p>so what does the instructions say on how to remove the paper label?</p>

<p>Isn't that just the paper label that should have been removed before the first use? Also, I never put pots and pans in the dishwasher; I always hand wash.</p>

<p>My bff is a big cook and has several pieces of Le Creuset cookware. She removes those sticky labels before using the cookware and she never puts hers in the dishwasher. I can't tell you the right or wrong way since I don't own any pieces but that's what she does.</p>

<p>I don't have any of that stuff but I'm fairly sure if you put a paper label under water it's going to look just like that.</p>

<p>With high end cookware like le Creuset and other top end brands, I recommend not putting them in the dishwasher as well. While they are high quality and rugged a dishwasher isn't the best place to wash them IME, for whatever reasons I find that dishwashing them leaves them more beat up then doing it by hand. I don't know whether it is the way the dishwasher works, or bits and pieces of stuff hitting the pot,or the hold downs on the rack, but they seem to get more battered washing in there. Especially given what you pay for that stuff, seems worth the effort to baby it, kind of like dry cleaning or handwashing clothing and lingerie:)</p>

<p>^^ My DW bought htis pot and the instructions were LONG GONE! Thanks for the input.:)</p>

<p>Use some Goo Gone or lighter fluid on a paper towel to get the remainder of the label off. You should be good to go after that!</p>

<p>I don't wash cast iron in the dishwasher of course, but LeCruset goes in when I'm feeling lazy since it's coated. Have had pots and pans for years and I haven't noticed any additional issues compared to my big stock pot that doesn't fit in the dishwasher. Soak the label some more and a scrubby will also remove the rest of the label and goo if you are afraid of acetone or some similar glue remover.</p>

<p>I've used peanut butter to rub off paper labels. Never had an L C though.</p>

<p>
[quote]
lighter fluid

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Then wash by had THOROUGHLY before exposing to a open flame (like on a gas stove) :)</p>

<p>Peanut butter or olive oil should get the label off.</p>

<p>This is not the cast iron Le Creuset, but rather the enamel on steel version of their stockpot.</p>

<p>I understand that. But can you enlighten me on the pros and cons between the two? I mean iron vs enamel.. I thought the Iron version is more expensive.</p>

<p>The most difficult to clean Le Crueset pan I own is the grill pan (because it has tall ridges that are great for grill marks). I soak it overnight in water with a dryer sheet then was well and everything falls right off. Dryer sheets in water are good for cleaning any pan with anything on it.</p>

<p>
[quote]
This is not the cast iron Le Creuset, but rather the enamel on steel version of their stockpot.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Ahhhh... I couldn't tell what it was. The angle of the close-up was fooling my eye. But, you are right. That's enamel over steel stockpot.</p>

<p>Those are very handy for boiling water, boiling shrimp, cooking pasta, heating soup, and so forth. They don't have the thermal mass properties of the heavy cast iron and wouldn't be good for searing or braising or deep frying, etc They are intended for heating a large volume of liquid. Pretty hand. I have one and use it fairly often but not as a replacement for the cast iron dutch ovens.</p>

<p>are we making an assumption that his problem is the LABEL?
Who cooks with the label on?
And if the problem is the label, wouldn't you want to try something other than water especially when you discover that the magic of dish washing is useless.?</p>

<p>the pot functions properly?
the label identifies that it is a pot from cruseurt,
adhesive is keeping label pretty much on the pot, even after much abuse.
operator lost the instructions
we all know the problem must therefore be operator error.</p>

<p>The advantage of enamel-coated stainless steel, as I understand it, is that seasoning of this cookware is not as essential as it is with a stainless steel interior. It also tends to be more inherently non-stick and cleans up more easily than an uncoated SS surface.</p>

<p>I have two pieces of the enameled cast iron Le Creuset and absolutely love them. Both were bought at closeout stores because the color (French Blue) was discontinued -- lucky me, because they are pricey. I used the 5 qt. oval roaster today to make Julia Child's Zinfandel (substituted Merlot) of Beef, and the results met the expected benchmarks for tenderness of meat and flavor of the resultant stock for thickening. In a braise, thermal mass is essential, and this is the perfect cooking vessel.</p>

<p>Le Creuset, typical of premium cookware, is all about performance; i.e., predictability and consistency of results. I would never put good cookware in the dishwasher, but that's just my gestalt, your mileage may vary. Stubborn stains on the enamel lift well by scrubbing with baking soda, selectively using one of those Magic Eraser-type sponges, or a long soak with hot water with either a partial scoop of dishwasher detergent or a good slug of sudsing ammonia.</p>