Shouldn't you take APs that DON'T complement your intended major?

<p>I was thinking, when you take AP exams and score well in High School, you will be able to defer the corresponding credits in (some) colleges. So, if you are planning on majoring in Bio, for example, wouldn't you want to take Bio in college rather than defering the credit for two reasons. For one, if you enjoy Bio, you'd want to experience the college level class perhaps for enrichment or as a refresher since your future years will entail that knowledge that you may have forgotten since high school. Second, when applying to grad school, I heard that they prefer you to have taken the college version of the subject rather than deferring the credit because the college class is more reputable and recent in comparison to the class taught at your public high school 5-6 years ago (is this true?) </p>

<p>If these two points are true, doesn't it make more sense to fill up your schedule with APs that are not beneficial to your major so you can instead take APs that are unrelated to your major in order to defer those credits that are unnecessary for you to take again in college as they will have no effect on your future path and may just be annoyinh grade requirements. </p>

<p>Now in an ideal world, you could take all the APs and pick and choose which to defer, but in scenarios with limited schedule space, should an aspiring Comp Sci major (for example) take APUSH in place of AP Comp Sci as US history is probably an expendable required credit for comp sci majors in college. </p>

<p>On the contrary, the APs are pretty decent for the introductory courses they replace. If you’re an engineering major, you’ll want the Calculus, Physics, and Computer Science courses… Because my engineering degree’s prerequisite chain is 4 years long.</p>

<p>Calc I (AB) -> Calc II (BC) / Phys Mechanics (Phys C) / Programming + Matlab (APCS) -> DEs / Calc III / Electricity (Phys C) -> Circuits -> Circuits II/ and so on so forth to 4 years.</p>

<p>Now if you got rid of all your GE’s by AP credits, you’ll end up stuck with only your major courses, with nowhere to go because of prerequisites getting in your way (yes I’m playing the prereq skipping game right now and it’s hard catch up work / worrisome).</p>

<p>@tangentline‌ I see. So what your saying is that APs are useful for skipping prereqs/introductory courses and the higher level courses are where the important stuff comes in? </p>

<p>Any word on graduate programs frowning on skipping these prereqs? </p>

<p>Just a personal opinion, I wouldn’t mind a student that skipped the prerequisite as future courses go far more in-depth while as a whole shares the same broadness as the introductory course on the subject matter–grades at this point will better demonstrate the student’s ability. The introductory courses generally aim at weeding out students over demonstrating their ability.</p>

<p>Grad schools may or may not require that you go back and complete the pre-req. It’s not because they frown on AP or anything but it’s just by rule that you have to take it at university.</p>

<p>It depends on your purpose. I was a BE major, and by getting out of the intro bio requirement, I was able to take cell and molecular biology as my first non-lab bio class. Which is pretty cool.</p>

<p>It also depends on your school, because some schools make you take a higher level class, others let you work away enough credits you could start with sophomore standing, or you could reach junior standing early.</p>