Simons summer program test scores

<p>There is no mention of test scores on the Simons summer program website. What does that mean? Do they not want test scores? Do they just expect them to come?</p>

<p>Hi there,</p>

<p>I had the wonderful opportunity to participate in the Simons program last summer. I don’t recall them asking the nominees to send in test scores last year either. However, because Simons was the first program I applied to last year, I was a bit more cautious and emailed the director asking if I could include a resume alongside the rest of my application. On the resume that I ended up sending in, I included my academic information with my test scores on it. </p>

<p>I don’t think the Simons program really looks into test scores to determine applicants, but I can say that the majority of the fellows last year had stellar stats (more of a correlation than direct causation though). Just realize that these scores are likely an incredibly minimal portion of what they consider for admittance. Focus on your essays! </p>

<p>Good luck on the rest of your application and best of luck! I hope you get admitted - it was an amazing experience that I hope you can have too :)</p>

<p>What did you include in your resume other than scores? I have never done anything like that before.</p>

<p>I think I just included my academic information, extracurricular activities, and community service. I wasn’t too knowledgeable either about what to do :)</p>

<p>another simons fellow here. flyingpanguins is right: definitely dont worry about test scores or anything like that, everything they need to know about you is in that application. it really just means that they want students who can demonstrate a real interest in scientific research (so the essays are super important, especially the last one).</p>

<p>If you don’t have a resume prepared then don’t worry about it. flyingpanguins sent one, but I didn’t. we both got in! I mean flyingpanguins does have an impressive resume and everything and I didn’t really have anything to put down so idk</p>

<p>Good work team. I agree with everything said above. I’m pretty sure I didn’t send in any test scores, and I don’t think it’s a big factor in admissions at all. </p>

<p>Also, someone who’s applying this year should start a Simons 2014 thread!</p>

<p>One more question: for the second essay, when it says “explain why” I think the problem or question is important, should I try to talk about how I would solve it? Is this a question that is trying to see how much I know and how good my critical thinking skills are?</p>