Singing at the dinner table and other pesky habits you have banned from the house.

<p>What pesky habits have you banned in your house? </p>

<p>I had to ban singing at the dinner table when daughter was 5. Actually it would have gone on for years, with all of the kids, if I hadn’t banned it. And even after it was banned it continued on. Maybe it was wrong of me. Put a plate of food in front of any of my children and they break out in song. Just one of those things…</p>

<p>What have you banned or tried to ban from your house. Besides smoking…</p>

<p>Haha, my parents banned closing doors. We kids are not allowed to close any of our room doors in our house (except for the bathroom obviously).</p>

<p>I charge a fine of 10 cents for saying duh or doh or ‘whatever’ (esp. when followed by an intolerant sigh). 25 cents for s*** or f*** (unless it’s me and I’m driving, in which case the fine for s*** drops to 10 cents). Hel* is free. I never banned the words… just made them expensive.</p>

<p>When my kids used to misbehave in public, I always threatened to sing out loud. In public. Once I was loudly singing a song about how rude my kids were when I ran into a group of my own students. It was a long time before they stopped razzing me about that.</p>

<p>Hmmm, dmd. I charged $1.00 for your 25-cent words. Long about the time DS was a pre-teen. Charged DH, too ;). Went into a fund that we later earmarked for the big-a$$ TV they wanted. Charging that $$ nipped the problem in the bud for quite a while, so the fund never grew too much.</p>

<p>Somehow, they managed to buy the TV, now about 8 years or so later.</p>

<p>Banned singing? DS banned me from singing along/humming along to the radio in the car. Killjoy. :D</p>

<p>hey DMD . It’s nice to see you again. How are you? Update?..</p>

<p>The posts here are great.</p>

<p>I was banned from reading books at the dinner table when I was about 7. It didn’t seem very fair to me – I’d have to put down a great book to come eat a pork chop? :D</p>

<p>If I am calling for one of the children they are NOT allowed to respond with a “What?”</p>

<p>I am aware of their names (having named most of them!!) so they need to respond with a “yes, ma’m”, “i am on my way”, “be there in a sec/minute” or best of all be in front of me like the Flash!</p>

<p>Kat</p>

<p>also no football around mirrors or the good dishes, no choke-holds on siblings smaller than oneself, no more crickets in siblings’ beds or ants or spiders, no funky hairdos while other sibs sleep (pink hair, pony-tails, or no pony-tails), no drinking from the gallon at the dinner table (cannot stand that one), no car parts, airplane parts or other machinery in bedrooms, no super gluing body parts of others to furniture, toliets, dishes or doorways</p>

<p>and answering the phone in the MOST awful of ways, unrepeatable</p>

<p>I do miss them.</p>

<p>We banned swordplay. And we charge for bad language, but it’s mostly theoretical particularly since we rarely remember to actually deduct it from allowances and dh is much more mealy-mouthed than I am. Half the words he complains about I think are fine.</p>

<p>Swordplay???</p>

<p>Also, I have BANNED my husband from bringing the laptop to bed. It’s OUT of the bedroom!</p>

<p>Does this say something about our age? My husband bringing the laptop to bed.</p>

<p>No lacrosse, golf, hockey, football, basketball or tennis (did I miss anything?) in the house. Preferably not in the driveway in front of the house either. Two acre zoning and grass exist for a reason. I keep saying that my <em>next</em> house will have a gym. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, by the time the <em>next</em> house is a possibility, both my sons will be away at school.</p>

<p>haha mollie- i had the same thing back in the day! i used to try keeping the book in my lap, even opened on the floor, but never could get away with it…plus i had to wait until everyone finished before i could leave the table</p>

<p>Books from the dinner table, cruel.
Lacrosse, hockey, basketball,…I can just see it in my head. lol</p>

<p>

<em>ROFL</em> bhg! With three girls involved in musical theatre, this dog won’t hunt in our house! I’m the worst offender! :o In fact, we burst into song REGULARLY…if someone says a word that’s contained in ANY song ANY of us knows, we break into that song IMMEDIATELY–and sing much more of it than was EVER warranted by the original word! :smiley: ;)</p>

<p>I’m <em>TRYING</em> to ban basketball dribbling in my den, though I’m not doing so well. Maybe the fact that we used to have a 12-foot portable basketball goal in our vaulted living room didn’t help matters? :confused: We finally moved it out to the driveway… :D</p>

<p>In general, I’m not much of a banner…then, if/when I <em>DO</em> get serious about banning something, they figure my reasons are sound, and they listen to me. Most of the time, anyway! :wink: </p>

<p>The only thing that really puts me over the edge is any cruel word exchange between the sibs. Those <em>really</em> grate me!</p>

<p>~berurah</p>

<p>Show tunes, yes of course. Dribbling…lol, I can’t stand it!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I am totally addicted to my laptop and always check my e-mail before I turn out the light. I am glad that you brought this up. I wonder if it bugs my husband and he isn’t saying anything. :eek:</p>

<p>Geez, no books? With my youngest S-- the incessant talker-- I would KILL for him to read at the table. I might even pay for that!!</p>

<p>I banned videogames. None, Nada, Never in my home. (I was already sick of policing t.v. and computers; figured the easiest path would be never to buy any games.)</p>

<p>Saying the same thing over and over.</p>

<p>When my kids were young, they used to do this to drive each other (and me) nuts. It had to go.</p>

<p>Banning videogames, SBmom? But then, you don’t get to play them, either. I loved the Mario Brothers series on the old Nintendo system! I never did beat level 8 of Super Mario 3, though.</p>

<p>When my son was a younger teen, we had to ban any reference to the Simpson’s. Somehow, he could relate any event to a Simpson’s episode. Boy, did that get old fast.</p>

<p>katwkittens LOL.</p>

<p>No balls in the house.</p>

<p>No snipping your lip with scissors - yes, adorable chubby S at the age of 5 did it at one point just to see what happened.</p>

<p>Everything else they have ever wanted to do has been open season - in moderation.</p>

<p>You folks do know you can get help for your OCD, don’t you?</p>