Slightly lower GPA with more extracurriculars?

<p>Hi all! I am in a dilemma deciding whether I should risk lowering my GPA a little bit by adding extracurricular activities. To be specific, I am going to take all science courses each quarter from Fall 2010 to Spring 2011 and I don't know whether I should consider adding either a research position or a tutoring position (both requiring 10+ hours).</p>

<p>I do have some extracurriculars from my 1st year of college though. Since I want to transfer from Davis to Berkeley by Fall 2011 into a very competitive major, which would be the wiser route to consider? Would maintaining my 4.0 GPA be more important than obtaining a research or tutoring position?</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>I would say maintaining a 4.0 is more important.. You can volunteer for a cause in Davis on holidays and breaks. Maybe find convelescent home or hospital? The hours can add up while not cutting into your academics..</p>

<p>It depends on what your GPA drops to. If you can keep your GPA north of 3.8 I would say go with the extracurricular. A GPA of 3.8+ w/ ECs is better than a 4.0 w/o ECs</p>

<p>If it's a research position, I'd highly recommend it. A 4.0 is great and all, but having real life experience is something that will always put you ahead in life. I'm not saying you should fail all your courses in order to get more EC's, but keep it up in the 3.8 - 4.0 range.</p>

<p>In all honesty, you will probably adapt to your new workload. My research position took about 12-16 hours a week and I really started to feel it during midterms/finals week, but I eventually found ways to schedule my time more efficiently and still was able to maintain a 4.0 for the quarters I worked.</p>