Small Colleges w/ DivIII Soccer, Orchestra, French, Creative for 2.5 GPA & no AP

So, what do you do when you suck at school, play the violin for a state ranked orchestra, play premier club soccer, speak French fluently, have more of an inventive mind that thinks globally and is practically incapable of doing details necessary for academics?? What colleges support students like that?

I’ve heard Lynn University has diversity, is sports oriented and has a music conservatory. Does anyone have any other ideas? I want to continue with my activities and keep learning and get a BA before I go to a technical school or other advanced professional program - probably in recording arts technology.

Thanks

I am thinking Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota, might appreciate your violin and French skills. They have a nice music department with two orchestras and a strong international program with languages and a lot of study abroad. And nice DIII soccer. It is not particularly difficult to be admitted there. No conservatory though. Are you particularly looking for a B. Music degree or would a B.A. be all right with you?

I’m new here. Getting used to navigating

I know your post is several months old, but I figured I would throw in my two cents anyway.

Earlham College seems like it might be a good match from what you described. I graduated with a degree in French and Francophone Studies, so I can tell you from experience that their French program is very good. They have very dedicated, generous, and intelligent professors. Some of my favorite classes ever were with the French department.

Earlham does have a Division three soccer team, and the school goes wild for the sport. It’s a Quaker institution, yet it boasts the most fanatic soccer fans you could imagine (“Fight! Fight! Inner Light!” and whatnot). As far as I could tell while I was there, the teams were always fairly good and seemed to have great fun.

My roommate played flute in the school orchestra. I didn’t participate in it, so I’m not sure about the quality. They have some excellent music teachers for individual lessons (I took voice lessons for a couple semesters).

Although it supports the creative arts, the art departments are disappointingly small. I believe that may be changing since I left (2007), and really, if you’re dedicated enough you can get what you need out of a program even if its resources are limited.

While your G.P.A and test scores are part of what Admissions looks for, Earlham really tries to find well-rounded human beings with a variety of interests and an open mind to new ideas and perspectives. If you can demonstrate a willingness to learn and grow and better yourself and your community at large, you have a good chance at getting in.

Every college has it ups and down - I personally loved the fact that the campus was small (around 1,200 students), the student/faculty ratio usually around 15:1, and the dorms cozy. It’s in an isolated town in the middle of nowhere, so you can definitely get claustrophobic and consequently sucked into the Earlham bubble, but at the same time it is a very international and globally conscious campus with lots of opportunities for trips, activities, and study abroad (upwards of 60% of the student body goes abroad at some point in their four years).

Alot is expected of you, but the professors are generally very supportive and understanding if you’re having problems emotionally or academically.

I’ll end this rant by saying I loved Earlham. It has impacted me in ways I cannot begin to describe.

Wow… this began as a simple response and turned into a love-fest for my school… eeeewwww.