I’m trying to help my D find schools to visit this summer. She’s a top student (4.88 weighted, ranked #1 of 400) while being a strong multi-sport athlete. She hasn’t taken the SAT yet but scored in the 98% on PSAT. She wants to be pre-med with some type of biology major.
Problem is, she’s pretty particular about what kind of school she goes to:
- smaller school, prefers 2-5k students
- rural setting, she hates city life! She also wants to be able to go places so safety of surrounding area is important
- Prefers to be within a 3-4 hour plane flight - we are west coast (CA)so that eliminates east coast states. She would like to stay farther west.
- she loves the cold, would love to be where it snows
- prefers low acceptance rate, but not true ivy league type schools for many reasons
- Biology a must, and wants a school with good support and connections for pre-med
So far on her list we have: Carleton, St. Olaf, Whitman, Kenyon, Denison, Sewanee, and a few safety schools in our home state (Westmont, Vanguard, Chapman) She crossed the Claremont Colleges off the list after we visited last summer.
Now for cost - I doubt we will qualify for any merit aid (middle class) I’d hate to see her get no merit $ for all the hard work she’s putting in. We would prefer to keep it 40K a year to avoid loans, especially if she sticks to her med school plan. Any suggestions for maybe some higher acceptance rate, good smaller schools for pre-med that are a more rural setting?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions or feedback. I have spent countless hours on this website and appreciate all of the contributions, it’s been so helpful to us.