smallish town girl who wants to go to school in big city.

<p>Okay, so my town’s not that small (About 15,000 people). Lately, I’ve been really interested in Columbia. I just visited it last week. Also, does anyone has ideas for safeties? I want to study chemistry and maybe minor in political science.</p>

<p>Student:</p>

<p>User Name: lavieboheme
Gender: F
College Class Year: 2013
High School: Public
High School Type: sends some grads to top schools</p>

<p>Academics:</p>

<p>GPA - Unweighted: 3.70
GPA - Weighted: 4.40
Class Rank: top 5 students
Class Size: 200</p>

<p>Classes
Freshman year: Geometry, Intermediate Algebra (required), English 9, Band, Spanish II, World Civ, Integrated Science (Required), Gym, Writing and Speech (public speaking class)
Sophomore year: Algebra II, English 10, Band, Spanish III, AP US History I, Biology, Chem, Gym, Health
Junior year: Advanced Math, Pre-calc, English 11, Band, Spanish IV, AP US History II, AP Chem, Computer Science I
Senior year (projected): AP Calc AB, AP English Lit, Band, Spanish V, Law/American Government, Physics, Gym, Band. Maybe Anatomy thrown in.</p>

<p>All classes are honors except foreign language and sophomore year chem because we don’t have honors for those. I have gotten an A or A+ in every class except Geometry and Algebra II, where I got A-.</p>

<p>Scores:
PSAT (sophomore year) - 191. I’m planning on bringing this score up a lot next year.</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:</p>

<p>Significant Extracurriculars: -dance class (about 4-5 hrs/week): 15 years (jazz, tap, ballet, lyrical)
-flute lessons (.5 hr/week): 7 years
-part-time job at CVS (10-15 hrs/week during school year, 20-30 hrs/week during summer)
Leadership positions: none, really.
Volunteer/Service Work: -lector at church: 4 years (About an hour or two once a month)
-various other stuff at church on a regular basis. Usually helping out with the little kid’s religious ed classes or sorting boxes</p>

<p>Honors and Awards: -Hoping for National Merit on the PSAT.</p>

<p>Desired College Characteristics:</p>

<p>Location type: Urban, Small City</p>

<p>Area: East Coast</p>

<p>You might want to look at NYU too, it is slightly easier to get into than Columbia and offers even more of a city atmosphere. </p>

<p>Just make sure you work really hard your junior year - it really counts.</p>

<p>Your SAT score is going to need to be 2100ish at a minimum, keep that in mind.</p>

<p>Also: UChicago is in the city, but slightly less intimidating. NYU is going to be a full on live by yourself, no campus, no hand holding at all sort of deal, which may be too much for someone coming from a town of 15,000.</p>

<p>This is the year to really make your academic/ECs resume pop. You have the desire and drive and ABILITY. Look for ways to show leadership. Ask your guidance counselor if your school has national honor society-and what the requirements are to be offered membership. Stay on top of your APs-so that you will nail the exams w/4/5s. Find ways to incorporate your interests; Chemistry and/or political science into ECs. The upcoming elections are a great way to follow this interest in poli-sci. It is good that you asking these questions now, so that you will have the time to make yourself that much stronger in the applicant pool. Good Luck!</p>

<p>Follow-up:
My school does have NHS and I applied in the spring. We don’t find out if we made it in until November.</p>

<p>I’m not really interested in NYU because although I want to go to school in a city, I want an actual campus, not just a bunch of buildings.</p>

<p>surprised no one has mentioned barnard- across the street from columbia but easier to get into, beautiful separate campus, very strong dance,</p>

<p>Goucher would make a great safety for you. It’s got the city of Baltimore and a dance program.</p>