SMU basketball team heads to Africa to learn about teammates' culture

<p>"As members of the SMU men’s basketball team workout and prepare for the upcoming season, they do so with a new perspective on three teammates and their team as a whole . . .</p>

<p>“I think now they really know like where we came from,” said senior center Bamba Fall.</p>

<p>“It was very eye-opening,” says sophomore guard Mike Walker. “You get to know the guys on the team and everything, but to be able to see where they come from and why they act the way they act… is very enlightening.”</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Is it just me, or does this seem a bit odd? Likewise, why wouldn’t SMU send, say, their soccer team to the home countries of their recruited internationals to see why THEY act the way they do?</p>

<p>[African</a> journey: SMU basketball team learns about teammates, culture | Latest News | WFAA.com](<a href=“http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa080715_ac_smu.5adf6c68.html]African”>http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa080715_ac_smu.5adf6c68.html)</p>

<p>Coming from Africa, for the most part, is a much bigger transitition than coming from Brazil or Hong Kong (the only internationals on the soccer roster).</p>

<p>Also, 3 people on the bball team is a much much larger proportion than the 2 members of the soccer team.</p>

<p>Because they care more about basketball than soccer? Because they think it will help them recruit the next Hakim Olajuwon?</p>

<p>^^ also good reasons</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well, the soccer team might have helped since Hakeem was a soccer player until 17 and did not play basketball. </p>

<p>Fwiw, the SMU soccer program recruits heavily at home and made headlines a few years ago when the current senior class was recruited almost entirely from a single local soccer club (Dallas Texans.) The few they did not take as freshmen transferred back to Dallas after a couple of season in the Northeast. Most of the international players were in Dallas during their high school years. </p>

<p>When it comes to soccer, SMU is quite … provincial.</p>

<p>I don’t think this should be looked at as odd at all. This should be celebrated among universities. I think this is great for the players on the SMU program. Athletes get a bad rap (some deserving) as being uncultured, arrogant, and not thankful for their abilities, but seeing the university taking advantage of an opportunity to teach their players more than just how to become a better basketball player is great. The players and coaches certainly appreciated this experience to grow as individuals. I don’t think this was a recruiting trip at all.</p>

<p>This is great, IMO. I know I have a hard time trying to relate to where international students at my school came from (Dominican Republic, Columbia, etc.) and more specifically on my team. I mean, there isn’t any major issue, but something like this would help dramatically to understand other’s cultural backgrounds, especially for a sport such as basketball where team unity is very key with such a small number of players on the team and on the court compared to other sports.</p>

<p>There is another great story about a Little League team from Vermont going to Cuba for a ten day tour there. They had to go through a bunch of paperwork with the government to be able to do it, but it’s an experience that those 11-12 year olds will never forget. With countries so different, sports are such a great way to unite since the rules are often universal.</p>

<p>It’s so transparent that this is just typical feel-good PR bullsh–err I mean, what a great eye-opening experience for the team.</p>

<p>This definitely isn’t BS, I don’t know who would actually go to Africa if they weren’t sincere about it. It’s not like Africa is like going on a trip out to Europe…</p>

<p>I found it quite interesting and think its cool to hear about people wanting to learn about other cultures.</p>

<p>I don’t mean the players. I mean the administrators who presumably sponsored this trip.</p>

<p>i’d probably be a little p.issed if i knew my tuition money was sponsoring the basketball team’s vacation…especially if it were solely the men’s team</p>

<p>^^ Lol? More like the proceeds many sports programs bring in sponsor your academic activities. </p>

<p>Soccer is an extremely international sport. Soooooooooo much more so than basketball – Especially in Africa? Not that many people want to be taught how to play soccer by an SMU player?. Basketball makes so much more sense.</p>

<p>I don’t know how many of you follow College Basketball, but for those of you who do realize that there’s been a steady rise in the number of African players – UCLA, Cameroon Crazies – Duke, Luol Deng – plenty others who play D1 college ball. This is a growing part of the game, and their culture needs to be both understood and respected.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It’s prudent to allocate capital to the investment that will generate the greatest return. Unfortunately for feminists, men are bigger, stronger, faster, and generally more athletically coordinated, and the masses recognize that at least subconsciously in their desire to watch/attend events.</p>

<p>^^hence the WNBA hahah</p>

<p>

LOL!!!</p>

<p>But you lost me with this comment:

Men are bigger, stronger, and faster. But they are NOT more athletically coordinated. And women are more flexible. I also think it is the superior strength & speed that make men’s sports more exciting for most fans. It’s not subconscious. Most people are pretty aware as to why they prefer watching men play.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It’s a more subjective measurement, but from what I see on TV of professionals and have seen in person of amateurs, women look more awkward shooting a basketball, dribbling a basketball or soccer ball, hitting a tennis ball, or throwing object X.</p>

<p>How is this a hot topic…?</p>